Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine issue. Engine Light on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:27 PM
cativo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issue. Engine Light on...

Hey all...

I have a '99 FXDWG with Vance & Hines pipes, and K&N filter set up. Everything else is pretty much stock. The bike has 12k miles on it and has just recently developed this intermittent problem. Luv those! The "Engine" light come on and stays on for a bit, they cycles off. When it does come on, I feel a slight twitch in the bike. Like a very small miss. Then when the light goes out, no difference in the bike. Other then this, the bike runs great! I don't have the computer module tester to pull the code, but I did use my manual and pull the code manually. The code points to a faulty cam sensor??? Anyone have any idea where I should go from here? I am almost thinking its the computer module having a glitch. Not sure.....

Any suggestions would be great!

Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Engine issue. Engine Light on...

While I ain't all that up on the computerized crap on the new bikes, I do work with the blasted things (computers) everyday. If you feel a "slight twitch" when the light is coming on, and the fault code is pointing to a cam sensor, I'd be inclined to believe it. Change it.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
hawk
Road Master

Absolutly
ORIGINAL: pococj

While I ain't all that up on the computerized crap on the new bikes, I do work with the blasted things (computers) everyday. If you feel a "slight twitch" when the light is coming on, and the fault code is pointing to a cam sensor, I'd be inclined to believe it. Change it.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We are having the same problem. We have a 00 FDXWG and while riding yesterday evening the engine light would flash on for a few seconds and then go off. Sean says he hears a slight rattle when he revs it up but not at idle. Any ideas?

Old 04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
cativo
Novice

Well, I have to agree. I guess I need to find where the CAM sensor is located. I guess my manual should point to it, right? Is this a huge job to pull off?

Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about yours , but mine is located rite in front of the oil filter at about the 5 oclock position, looks like a snap to replace. mine is a 05 RKC.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
cativo
Novice

Sweet. I will check it out.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heatherc

We are having the same problem. We have a 00 FDXWG and while riding yesterday evening the engine light would flash on for a few seconds and then go off. Sean says he hears a slight rattle when he revs it up but not at idle. Any ideas?
Have him go through the procedure to check the code. One of these Twinkie riders should be able to tell him the procedure if he doesn't have a manual.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

its an early indication, if you dont fix it it will probally start shutting the bike down, mine is in the cam housing, it was 184 bucks, and requires timing to be set. a self project, beats me!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Have him go through the procedure to check the code. One of these Twinkie riders should be able to tell him the procedure if he doesn't have a manual.
[/quote]

Bought a manual yesterday. Hopefully we can figure it out. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine issue. Engine Light on...