Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tssm problems???? HELP ME MECHANIC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:09 AM
06standard
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tssm problems???? HELP ME MECHANIC!!!

I purchased a brand new 06 standard softail from local harley dealer. The bike is all stock, carburetor version. On 05-29-06 I was at a red light and just happened to look down at the dash and noticed all lights on the dash was illuminated (engine icon, alarm icon, turn signals, oil icon etc.). Bike was shut off immediately to avoid possible damage. While the bike was off i noticed the front and rear turn signals stayed illuminated. Turned ignition and fuel valve on and bike did not start. A code appeared on the odometer "bus er" or
"bur es" if I remember correct, possible error code. Dealer initially stated the computer brain was fried but later said it was the TSSM. Dealer installed new TSSM but was having trouble clearing error code. Dealer turn on ignition after installing new TSSM and the turn signals appeared to be back to normal but the alarm key icon stayed illuminated. Mechanic related he followed procedure as listed by HD but error code was still not clearing. Dealer related they will work on problem and possibly install another new TSSM??? My question is the alarm system the culprit or did i just have a bad TSSM and what about the dealer having problems clearing the error code. I'm very frustrated as i rode the bike (3) weeks and as of June 19, 2006 that makes (3) weeks my bike was at the dealer. Felt like i rented the bike for (3) weeks. The lemon law in Hawaii DOES NOT APPLY TO MOTORCYCLES, SCOOTERS AND MOPEDS. I will do more research on lemon law. Any help would be appreciated and passed on to dealer.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: tssm problems???? HELP ME MECHANIC!!!

Could be a bad Communication wire between the TSSM and ECM.....

There is no way that the tech cannot clear the code, unless it is a current code...

Which it is sounding like....

They need to get an experienced Electrical Tech on that one....

Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 PM
blainem
Intermediate

Hey Shovelhead Bob, you seem to be the most knowledgeable tech here...what would it take to get you to come to Canada and work on my bike???

Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
blainem
Intermediate

Hey Shovelhead Bob, you seem to be the most knowledgeable tech here...what would it take to get you to come to Canada and work on my bike???

Old 06-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Ain't happennin'.......

They talk funny up there, and the riding season is shorter.....

Old 06-21-2006, 03:52 AM
06standard
6th Gear

thanks shovelhead bob, asked dealer if they could check the communication wire between TSSM and ECM. Dealer said they will check wire. Will post updates as soon as dealer responds. Thank you