Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wiring a 1999 Sportster Engine for a Custom

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
odgreen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring a 1999 Sportster Engine for a Custom

Bear with me I am new to this forum stuff. I am builing a rigid chopper and have a 1999 sportster motor to use. I can do all of the body assembly and stuff like that but wires are another story. Can anyone help me with how to wire my bike up, I do have a factory wire harness off of a different 99 and I do need to use turn signals as well, and would like to use the factory controls as far as starting, signals and lights. I know its not typical for a rigid chopper to have the controls but oh well. Any help would be so appreciated.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by odgreen
Bear with me I am new to this forum stuff. I am builing a rigid chopper and have a 1999 sportster motor to use. I can do all of the body assembly and stuff like that but wires are another story. Can anyone help me with how to wire my bike up, I do have a factory wire harness off of a different 99 and I do need to use turn signals as well, and would like to use the factory controls as far as starting, signals and lights. I know its not typical for a rigid chopper to have the controls but oh well. Any help would be so appreciated.
It's be beneficial to get an electrical service manual for the bike the harness is off of. Most of the wiring is pretty straight forward. the power will go from the battery into a fuse block or curcuit breakers, from there to the switches then to whatever. Pretty easy really. I'd solder and heat shrink all connections. If you run into a problem ask a specific question and you'll get your answers here. Good luck.