Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Sledge
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issues

I'll try to keep this short. I rebuilt a 1992 FXRS and everything is working great except the dang turn signals. I eliminated the stock fronts and replaced them with LED turn signals built into the mirrors. The rears are the stock turn signals. All signals worked prior to the rebuild. I have replaced the "fuses" actually relays and when I put everything back together the signals all worked briefly the left worked longer than the right for some reason. Now the front running lights work (part of the turn signals in the mirrors) and when you turn the hazards on the fronts flash properly. Try to turn either side signal on and the fronts dont flash and the rears dont flash. I checked the rear bulbs, they are fine. I disconnected the rears completely and the fronts still dont flash for turn signals just hazards. I then rewired the rears in and unhooked the fronts. Still no turn signals in the rear. The rear housings were powdercoated and the wires did melt a bit but seem to have good connection all the way through and the left did work briefly after the powdercoating. Any suggestions on what might be causing the issue? Alot of hours in this bike and its beyond frustrating at this point that the only issue is the stupid turn signals. Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

have you checked the load equalizer? Disconnect the front turn signals altogether and see if the rears work fine. If so then your load equalizer is more than likely your culprit.

you do have a load equalizer right? I'm pretty sure it's required on these older bikes.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Sledge
Road Master

I think you are correct. I ordered one this morning after staring at it all night I realized I didn't have one on it. Hopefully that'll fix it. Thanks

Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Sledge
Road Master

Ok riddle me this,also installed is a Kuryakyn iron cross LED brake/tail light. It was working fine. Ive changed nothing yet and now all turn signals are working and the brake light quit working. Is this because I need a load equalizer on the front turn signals and one on the brake/tail light? If so will I in fact need three load equalizers? One for each front turn signal and one for the tail/brake lght?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

you should only need 1 for the frt turn signals and then 1 for the brake light

Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Sledge
Road Master

Thanks