Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Why not a RevTech DFO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 AM
sims5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a RevTech DFO?

Why should I not buy a RevTech DFO?

I have a 05 Road King Custom (FLHRSI) with Factory Mufflers (baffles drilled out to 1") and will be installing the Screamin Eagle Air Filter Kit with a K&N Filter soon. The motor appears to be running hot and lean is why I'm looking at the RevTech DFO system. I have no thoughts of any future performance upgrades as I'm happy with the current power.

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Why not a RevTech DFO?

You're right. Why not? I have one on my 06 Roadglide with a stage-1 air cleaner and no download and Vance & Hines Slip ons. Really satisfied with it. Cured all of my problems.
Gary D.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about getting a DFO. They seem like good units. I chose the PCIII, b/c the tuner I was using has a lot of experience with PCIII's and there is a lot of knowledge on this site to fall back on. I just got it installed and tuned yesterday and have only ridden about 30 miles so I really can't comment on how well the bike is performing. The cold weather has set back in until next week.

I chose the PCIII for the ability to tune each cylinder individually. With my bike the rear cylinder needed more fuel than the front due to it running more lean (hot). There are a lot of people on here who have DFO's and like them though. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drilled out pipes will definitely make you bike run leaner than it already is. ...you add the air cleaner and look out !

Can't speak about the DFO but I have a PCIII...bike runs a ton better than stock. I am also continuing research on the SERT since I have an 07 with o2 sensors that are currently disabled with the PCIII. The SERT takes advantage of the o2s. Good luck with your decision. I ran mine with banged out baffles to stock pipes for a while and it just didn't cut it.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 880 Likes on 415 Posts

In your case it's the right choice. It does what it's supposed to. No need to buy a Howitzer if a derringer will do the job.

Uncle Peepers

Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncle Peepers

In your case it's the right choice. It does what it's supposed to. No need to buy a Howitzer if a derringer will do the job.

Uncle Peepers
AMEN. Keep It Simple, Stupid..

I'm running a DFO with a Ness Big Sucker 2 and D & D slipons. The DFO was quick and easy to install and set up. I read all these posts from people who are having trouble with flashes, downloads and all that crap and it makes me VERY happy with my decision. All I need to do is correct a lean condition, not re-tune the whole motor.

The irony of the situation is that the guy who invented the DFO is the same engineer who developed the Power Commander for Dynojet. He left the company and went out on his own, building the DFO (or TFI, another brand name) to be a quicker, easier alternative to the PC in most setups. But it appears that many people still insist on staying with the older, more complicated (and expensive) technology of the Power Commander even though they don't need everything it does.

It's probably because of money. The shops and dealers encourage the complicated setups because they cash in when you bring your bike in for dyno runs and tuning sessions. With a DFO, you don't need their help. You just set it by running up the RPM's and turning a screw to smooth it out. Next you run it up to your cruise RPM, turn another screw until the LED changes color and you're done. No more lean, no more popping. And if you ever need to go back to stock configuration, just take the unit off.

Beats me why people try to needlessly complicate things.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a DFO. It worked great for me. Great throttle response and good gas mileage.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:19 PM
SLORider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the WEASEL said X2. The DFO is simple and it works. What the heck else do you need?