Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent Engine Stall, Shutdown, Cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 AM
spdrcrjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2007 wideglide. It was a corroded negative battery cable. The ring terminal and wire (where the negative wire connects to the frame) had so much corrosion that it was making intermittent contact.

Another possible issue could be excessive oil blow by in the intake. It causes problems with the IAC motor and makes the engine cut out.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Looch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by harleytuner
What year and model is your bike? Older touring bikes had a auto reset circuit breaker that would do exactly that. There was a service bulletin that had the dealer replace the circuit breaker with a larger one. I beleive they were '04 and older touring bikes.
I have a 2006 Dyna 88' twin cam. Your answer sounds like the a something that would give me the same problem. Except mine is a later year and model
Hoping that little twist of the ground took care of it but im skeptical ...im sure to find out when im in the middle of no where

Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Looch
I have a 2006 Dyna 88' twin cam. Your answer sounds like the a something that would give me the same problem. Except mine is a later year and model
Hoping that little twist of the ground took care of it but im skeptical ...im sure to find out when im in the middle of no where

Shouldn't be the same on a dyna. It wan only touring bikes (ultras mainly). They had a 30 AMP (if I remember correctly) circuit breaker on them, the breaker would overload and trip killing the bike. Since the circuit breaker was auto re-setting after it cooled off it would reset and the bike could be started again and be fine untill it heated up and tripped again. The service bulletin had HD replace the 30 AMP with a 40 Amp and all was good. Somewhere around 05 or 06, maybe 07 they started putting maxi fuses in them and ditched the circuit breaker.

Does your bike loose all power? I.E. headlights and everything shut off? Or does the bike just shut off like you hit the kill switch? If it looses all power it could be a bad ignition switch, does yours have a keyed ignition or the **** on the tank you turn?

The following users liked this post:
Peter Lefebvre (07-13-2018)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Looch
Advanced

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Shouldn't be the same on a dyna. It wan only touring bikes (ultras mainly). They had a 30 AMP (if I remember correctly) circuit breaker on them, the breaker would overload and trip killing the bike. Since the circuit breaker was auto re-setting after it cooled off it would reset and the bike could be started again and be fine untill it heated up and tripped again. The service bulletin had HD replace the 30 AMP with a 40 Amp and all was good. Somewhere around 05 or 06, maybe 07 they started putting maxi fuses in them and ditched the circuit breaker.

Does your bike loose all power? I.E. headlights and everything shut off? Or does the bike just shut off like you hit the kill switch? If it looses all power it could be a bad ignition switch, does yours have a keyed ignition or the **** on the tank you turn?
I lose the dash, this I know. It starts back up while im still rolling so im not sure about the lights. I have the ( pain in the a$$) ignition in the neck of the bike. When I was a young buck riding with friends, we used to ride up on the right side of each other and slap the kill switch as a gag, feels like that. ( that was 25 years ago )

Old 11-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Tkemb303
Stage II
Default Loss of power

I just recently purchased a 1996 ultra classic with 8400 miles on it, I have now have 9400 miles on it. Today while riding at about 65 mph everything shut down. Tach went to zero, then within a few seconds it started back up. I rode about 100 miles an was riding after dark an it shut down again. Just like the kill switch had been turned off. All the lights went off, I turned off the passing lamps and radio an everything came back on. Do you think it's the circuit breaker.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Tkemb303
Stage II

I talked with my local HD Dealer and this issue is a recall of the ignition switch on my bike. Taking it in tomorrow for new ignition and 40 amp wiring harness.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imhad same symptoms last two rides at random. Happened when coming to a stop.. Checked ECM codes and nothing read with PV tuner. Where is temp sensor located and wouldn't a code be thrown if it was temp,sensor ?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:35 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkemb303
I talked with my local HD Dealer and this issue is a recall of the ignition switch on my bike. Taking it in tomorrow for new ignition and 40 amp wiring harness.
It was found that the failure was usually a bad crimp on one of the leads to the breaker. It would get so hot it would trip the breaker. Maxi fuses don't get tripped by heat...

On any bike that actually is tripping the breaker, the eyelet will most likely need to be replaced. If you have one that trips, touch the posts - you'll quickly find which eyelet to replace.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-01-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 PM
jayceehi
Stage III

My 2009 Sportster 1200 custom was stalling out as well intermittently. There was an 'O2' sensor code thrown. Changed that...Still stalling.....Tech saw some 'iffy' looking wiring behind the run switch....changed that.....still stalling. Turns out that the bike had not been run much before I bought it in March of this year (3000 miles). Took the tank off and the fuel pump was corroded out and a ton of rust in the tank. Loaner tank now while the other is getting recoated and is GOOD!!! Took a while but I have a reliable bike now not constantly worrying about it dying out on the highway!! Just thought I'd share. Another possibility for someone with the same issues!! Cheers...Jaycee

Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Apuesto
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem with my 06" VRSCR. Scratching my head at the moment. It will cut out momentarily w/o warning. Makes riding in traffic a really scary experience.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Engine Stall, Shutdown, Cutoff