Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No power

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:47 PM
rpahrendt
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power

Can anyone give me any advice on this problem. I'm trying to get my 02 Heritage Springer running after 6-months of storage. I've charged the battery on a HD trickle-charger and when I turn the switch to either 'accessories' or 'ignition' nothing happens. The fuses all look good and there is no obvious wiring issues (it is still primarily stock). I have even tried jumping it and still got no power.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:52 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: No power

I don't think you can jump start a fuel injected bike. At least on my 98 RK, I wasn't succesful when my battery went dead.

Have you tested to see if the battery is holding any voltage?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:31 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

You have a battery or connection problem. Do you have any lights at all?

Unplug ANY battery charger from the battery. Then test it with a multimeter, the voltage should be at least 12 volts. If not, then it is obvious weak. Check all connections for tightness and corrosion-free....and check the stud ontop of the starter. It should be tight and corrosion-free as well.

Next, put a load tester on the battery itself. Some models will tell you the voltage, but they all check the CCA which is critical with cranking power.

If the above testing equipment is unavailable....remove the battery and take it somewhere to have it tested.

I believe the battery is totally dead though and will probably be replaced. If you must replace the battery....also inspect the charging system as well. You don't want to put a new battery on a bike with a nonworking charging system.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:16 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 612 Posts

1-if battery was placed on charger only now... and not during storage, it is very, very possible it gave up the ghost. consider testing battery and replacement if over 2 years old...please consider not jump starting battery..easy to burn things up $$..2- i apologize for the following : but is the switch on the bars on run ? and do you have any kind of security feature with a switch/fuse or arm/disarm/remote feature that could be a secondary diagnosis of problem?
a jump start will many times cause these aftermarket systems to burn a fuse.3-is the charger good?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
rpahrendt
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was a totally dead battery. I thought at a minimum I would get lights by hooking jumper cables up but that didn't work. With a new battery it fired right up!