Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Repairing oil pump

Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Harley Bass
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing oil pump

I replaced the oil tank and lines on my 73 XLCH. Drained everything and re-filled. Now I'm getting an oil light. Thought maybe there was air in the lines, so I removed the oil pump check valve, cranked her up hoping to work any air out of the lines. I'm not getting oil out of the pump when running now. Apparenlty I've sheared something in the pump.
I was hoping someone had some advice or had solved a simalar problem. I know I have to pull the engine to remove the oil pump, but I was wondering if I could get away with leaving the breather valve gear and shaft in place, and not have to re-time the breather valve in the gearcase (maybe more then I can handle).
Can I replace the scavenger pump and scavenger pump idler gears and pump and pump idler gears, leaving the breather valve gear and shaft in place?
Appreciate any advice anyone could give me.
Thanks in advance

Harley Bass

Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Is it possible that there is still air in the oil line feed to the pump?

What i have done for this is remove the oil pressure gauge and leave it alone overnight, with a full oil tank of course. Usually in the morning some oil has dripped out and the air is gone from the line. I do not get the oil tank emptied onto the floor! just a bit in a tray i have set down.

Another time i did not have the tank installed; so i used a funnel in the oil line feed to the pump. Tedious, but i eventually got it primed.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 AM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Bass
I replaced the oil tank and lines on my 73 XLCH.... Now I'm getting an oil light.

Harley Bass
Are you absolutely sure you have the new oil lines going to the right places on the new oil tank? You're positive the output of the oil tank is connected to the input for the oil pump? And not connected to where the return or vent lines should go? When you removed the oil pump check ball, did any oil drip out then? Gravity should be causing oil to get to where the check ball is, whether anything's sheared or not.

If your '73's oil pump is similar to my '69's, I'd remove the oil light switch from the front of the oil pump, remove the spark plugs, and kick the motor over. After a short period of time, if oil is actually making it out of the tank, down the hose, and to the pump, some oil should start dripping out the oil pressure switch hole like Mick said.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Harley Bass
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I have all hoses connected correctly. I had removed the light switch and check ball and left things overnight as both of you suggested. There is now a tiny bit of oil oosing out of the pump. I was hoping to see a little better flow from the pump.
I hadn't mentioned it earlier, but I followed the manuals instructions for bleeding the lines of air by removing the ball check valve and running the motor, forcing air out of the lines. The manual suggested running about 4 ounces of oil out of the tank, which would remove any remaining air in the lines. When doing this, I gotta a very small amount of oil. Nothing near 4 ounces. I was afraid to run too long.
I think I'll let it sit another night, let gravity do its thing, and try it again tomorrow.
I really appreciate both of your replies and your suggestions.I'll let ya'll know what happens.