Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

RT SIDE SHIFT CONVERSION KIT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
REDRUM INK
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT SIDE SHIFT CONVERSION KIT

just bought a 1972 ironhead. I would like to swap the shifter to left side.Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit? and where i would be able to get one.

thanks, mike

Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 PM
eglideic
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: RT SIDE SHIFT CONVERSION KIT

NO, NO, NO. Don't do it. There is NO good way to do it. Harley tried it in 1975 and 76. It was terrible. It goes aganst the design of the motor. If you must have a Sportster with a left hand shift sell the 1972 and buya 1977 or later. They completely redesigned the motor for 1977 with left hand shift specifically in mind.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Harley Bass
Cruiser

Why would you change a classic set up like the right side shift? That's one of the coolest things about owningan older Ironhead. Keep it!

1973 XLCH
All original
Restored

Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

As a current 76 owner I have to say that eglideic is right. The conversion they made as a quick temp job to appease the feds in 75 was horrible.

Literally what they did was take a round tube weld it on the frame right behind the pirmary and then with 3 flimsy parts ran the cross over shafts and linkages through the tubes to the left side. Brakes were easy becuase they were controlled by a cable so that was no huge deal.

Getting a forward control to work on it properly was/is the most difficult and akward thing you will ever experience. NO forward control kit out on the market works properly for the 75-76. Meaning that the shift side has to be heel kicked to shift instead of the normal toe shifter. None of the shifters actually go forward enough because of clearance issues with the primary case.

eglideic is right, to properly do it you will want to get a 77 instead where the shifter is actually located in the primary case and works as it should. I would either leave it alone and learn how to shift with it since they are hard to come by and great old machines or sell it and buy a later model like 77 or later. Or you could try and design your own but it won't come without problems.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM
csd4682
Advanced

I just bought a 75 a month ago. I am very lucky to have gotten one that still had the right side shift. I was pretty nervous about it at first, but after a couple of rides it was no big deal. Im more concerened with better brakes that which side to shift on. Anyways these are classics and the right side shift is part of what makes them classic. I would keep the shifting the way it is, but to each his own. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't change it, you get used to it... and nobody wants go to testdrive it :-)

Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
chrisp
Novice

I say keep it too I just got a 73 and had previously only had sport bikes so was a little nervous about it too. after a ride or so its a piece of cake what worries me more is the fact that my bike has no front brakes[:-]

Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Horse13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: supr2nr

Literally what they did was take a round tube weld it on the frame right behind the pirmary and then with 3 flimsy parts ran the cross over shafts and linkages through the tubes to the left side.
OK..HI, I'm a newposter here but have been reading a while and lurking.

I'll do a post with this bit of info.

Actually what they really did was to use the already there "brake cross-over linkage" ( your round tube behind the engine)...and convert it to a shifter by hooking this brake crossover to the shiftershaft behind the cam cover rather than attach a shift lever to it on the outside of the cam cover. Then they added on the cable brake to the right foot peg.

It works if in good condition.......but not as good as the right hand shift they modified.

How do I know?

I ride a 1975 XLH.

Another note is you must open and pull tranny to replace the shifter shaft with the shorter one to make the "conversion". Then add the 1975 to 1976 "conversion" bits to switch to the left side shift.

You'll need the shorter shaft, the right side linkage behind the cam cover, the blind shift shaft bushing for the cam cover, the funky & ugly left side shift lever and peg, the right side peg and brake setup, cable, cable brake type drum brake plate.( did I forget a bit or two???)

A lot of work to go through for a sloppy & uglyshifter.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 AM
docbulldog
Intermediate

Digging up an old thread here but to those of you who say you get use to the RH shift I have a question: Do you ride a LH shift bike as well or is the Ironhead all you have? I am asking because I am having an affair with a '66 Iron that is of course RH shift. Most often I ride an 08 Fat Boy so my concern is going back and forth.
I haven't bought the Iron yet for only that reason.
Thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode both back to back all the time; a '72 XHL and a '98 Triumph 900 triple.
If you have an Ironhead, it HAS to be a right shift and a kicker XLCH if you can find or afford.

Believe me, there is absolutely no forgetting when you are riding an Ironhead

Quick Reply: RT SIDE SHIFT CONVERSION KIT