Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Need clutch help, 73 xlch!!Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 AM
akira
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need clutch help, 73 xlch!!Help!!

I have a 73 xlch, when I got it it had whst seems to be an upgrade 74 clutch in it, but its not working,
I pulled it all apart and everything looked good, put t back to spec and it slipped. Thats #1

#2, pulled it out again, got new fiber discs, put iit back, slipped

#3, was looking around and found that maybe I needed shorter spacers because I have worn plates, layed them down to spec, put ti to gather, still slipped.

#4 today I got a new single spring, had the hardest time putting it on, took three guys, and most of the afternoon, but put it together and now its not letting go and i am having a veryu hard time shifting. please help, i am out of ideas and getting very tired of taking it apart. im doing everything as said in the manual, does anyone know whats wrong or what I should do?

Old 04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Need clutch help, 73 xlch!!Help!!

Ain't it a fun time getting an older bike when someone like me has "upgraded" stuff, but left no trail of the doin's?

I always hated those late '74 clutches because of the limited adjustment determined by the spacers. Is it possible to put it together without the spacers so you'll have a range of adjustment? It's been a long time, but I think I remember doing that on my bud's bike. Seems like we used old adjusting nuts, too. Can't swear to it, though.

Wondering why it took so many of y'all to put the springs on? Did you not have a tool to compress the springs? They are pretty easy to make, and the service manual shows a pic that's good enough to make one by. I've seen pressure plates and releasing discs bent or warped by improper spring removal or installation.

Before installing the new single spring did you measure the free length of the old ones? Inner spring should be 2-5/16 inch, and outer spring should be 2-1/2 inch. And when you installed the new single spring did you use the stock length spacers, or use the shorter ones? There are three lengths of spacers - standard,
-0.040, and -0.080. If the shorter ones are installed with your new spring things may be too tight now. You should have a minimum of 1/8 inch between the outer drive plate and the inside of the releasing disc. Less than that and it won't release. If the longer spacers still allow slippage with the new spring, and the shorter ones don't allow the clutch to release, try filing the long ones to a length between the two.

First thing, though, is to buy or make a spring tool!