Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

38mm bendix main jet size

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 AM
heavy.clutch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38mm bendix main jet size

Can someone tell me what size main jet i could start with for my bendix, the jet that is in there has these numbers stamped on the bottom C66-184 which i think is of a 40mm.
I know that jet size doesnt really matter because its adjustable, but what jet should be in there. What main comes with the new bendix sold?
The problem im having is when i get to 80kms i lose power like there is no gas getting to the carb(no throttle responce at all)untill i slow down or back of the throttle, i have checked fuel flow, float level is right, no leaks anywhere my plugs are tan in colour no back fire and no backfire thru the carb so what else could be causing this, im at my witts end.Thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

i have the same question on my bendix i have a 157 main jet. bought carb on ebay. my main jet is not adjustable only mod on bike is open drag pipes. you need to list what mods you have on your bike like exhaust cams air cleaner head mods.it all factors in.
standard jet sizes start at 90,95,100,105,110,115,120,and 125 there are others, but these are what the factory book shows

Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 PM
heavy.clutch
Advanced

Originally Posted by popstheoldman
i have the same question on my bendix i have a 157 main jet. bought carb on ebay. my main jet is not adjustable only mod on bike is open drag pipes. you need to list what mods you have on your bike like exhaust cams air cleaner head mods.it all factors in.
standard jet sizes start at 90,95,100,105,110,115,120,and 125 there are others, but these are what the factory book shows
I have no mods other than electronic ignition and drag pipes, i have tried with and without baffles but none the wiser, i know what jets are available but which one. Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bendix main jets comes sizes:
Bendix/Zenith 0.095" / OEM 27651-75 / Zenith C66-183-19
Bendix/Zenith 0.100" / OEM 27652-75 / Zenith C66-183-20
Bendix/Zenith 0.105" / OEM 27653-75 / Zenith C66-183-21
Bendix/Zenith 0.110" / OEM 27654-75 / Zenith C66-183-22
Bendix/Zenith 0.115" / OEM 27655-75 / Zenith C66-183-23
Bendix/Zenith 0.120" / OEM 27656-75 / Zenith C66-183-24
Before you are changing jets, is there someting wrong with engine running, bad idle, acceleration, midrange, flatout ? coffing when cold ?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 AM
heavy.clutch
Advanced

Originally Posted by sepixlh
Bendix main jets comes sizes:
Bendix/Zenith 0.095" / OEM 27651-75 / Zenith C66-183-19
Bendix/Zenith 0.100" / OEM 27652-75 / Zenith C66-183-20
Bendix/Zenith 0.105" / OEM 27653-75 / Zenith C66-183-21
Bendix/Zenith 0.110" / OEM 27654-75 / Zenith C66-183-22
Bendix/Zenith 0.115" / OEM 27655-75 / Zenith C66-183-23
Bendix/Zenith 0.120" / OEM 27656-75 / Zenith C66-183-24
Before you are changing jets, is there someting wrong with engine running, bad idle, acceleration, midrange, flatout ? coffing when cold ?
The only problem im having is when i get to 80kms it just seems to lose power like no gas getting to carb, theres not throttle responce at all untill i back of or slow down, I know the jets available i just want to know what jet should be in there, anyone have a bendix on there bike that can have a look, i have emailed j&p to ask them what sizes main is in the new ones they sell but they dont seem to understand what im asking i just want to know what size it is. Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a brand new Bendix carb at home still in the box. I believe I bought it from Jireh. I will post another reply with the info from the carb and the size of the main jet when I dig it out of the pile of stuff it is hiding in. Gimme a day or so to find it.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:11 AM
heavy.clutch
Advanced
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by megawatt
I have a brand new Bendix carb at home still in the box. I believe I bought it from Jireh. I will post another reply with the info from the carb and the size of the main jet when I dig it out of the pile of stuff it is hiding in. Gimme a day or so to find it.
Thanks megawatt , i cant wait for your reply.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 AM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heavyclutch, I ran a Bendix on my pan for 10 years. Used the adjustable main jet. It ran fine started easy until about a month ago. All of a sudden it just started to flood out while riding. It would run fine for a while and then just die. Start back up and run for a while and repeat. Rebuilt it and had the same problem. Finally put a Super B I had laying around on it and it solved the problem. I know this isn't your problem but you may want to try running an adjustable main jet. Bendix are great carbs when they are running correctly but they can be a bear when they're not. I've got a friend who says they're only good for holding papers down on a windy day and for playing basketball with. Don't know if I believe that, like I said I ran it for 10 years no problems. Try the adjustable main and see if that cures your problem.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 PM
heavy.clutch
Advanced

Originally Posted by 48pan
Heavyclutch, I ran a Bendix on my pan for 10 years. Used the adjustable main jet. It ran fine started easy until about a month ago. All of a sudden it just started to flood out while riding. It would run fine for a while and then just die. Start back up and run for a while and repeat. Rebuilt it and had the same problem. Finally put a Super B I had laying around on it and it solved the problem. I know this isn't your problem but you may want to try running an adjustable main jet. Bendix are great carbs when they are running correctly but they can be a bear when they're not. I've got a friend who says they're only good for holding papers down on a windy day and for playing basketball with. Don't know if I believe that, like I said I ran it for 10 years no problems. Try the adjustable main and see if that cures your problem.
My carb is the adjustable,the main that is in there now just isnt the right one, it has numbers on it that do match up with any of my parts books dont know what its from, just want to know what size i should buy,i just want to buy one which i have to get it shipped from the states, then theres the currency conversion on top of that and bank charges then it gets pricey, cant get any parts here, got to import everything.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The adjustable main jet Bendix is just that...... adjustable.

The different jet numbers provided by sepixlh are the fixed jets of different size that go into a fixed jet Bendix. These screw into the main fuel jet and tube assembly.

The adjustable main jet Bendix is a bit different. It has no main jet, nor any place to screw one into. The brass fuel tube assembly (I will call it that) screws up into the bottom of the carb body.

The upper end is where the adjustment needle fits into it's recess from above. Not possible to screw any kind of jet in here.
Screw the needle down till it stops and your main jet size is now zero.
Turn the screw outward and the main jet becomes variable (in size), getting bigger the further you unscrew the needle. Yeah, I know everybody knows that.

So, there is nothing you can do with an adjustable main jet except screw the needle in and screw it out.
No jet parts to change out.
No such thing as a 'factory jet' size either. It has no jets.
As far as I know, the Bendix that HD originally put on the Sportster was always a fixed jet model.
I have not heard of an adjustable jet Bendix being used from the factory.
Watch someone prove me wrong on that!

However........ on an adjustable jet Bendix (and the fixed jet too) there is something that can cause you all kinds of headache unless you know what is wrong.
Around the top of the brass fuel tube assembly there is an O ring.
This thing will rot away over time. When it gets in bad enough shape, it starts to leak raw fuel into the intake manifold.

You first know it because the bike will lose power and roll black sooty smoke out the tail pipes. As it gets worse, it will begin to fuel foul the spark plugs. The engine will foul out the plugs even though you are riding 70mph!
Usually it will completely kill one cylinder or the other and leave you changing plugs beside the road.

Install clean plugs and you may get as far down the road on both cylinders as say........... maybe 20 miles before you find your self putting plugs in there again.

Don't ask me how I discovered this, I rather not remember the experience.

Here is a pic of the Bendix adjustable carb parts from my ironhead. This collection is all of the parts you will find in a Bendix adj jet float bowl. (Besides the float needle, float spring and bowl gasket)
The brass tube you will note has no kind of jet to put in there.
The short needle is the low speed air needle.
The cruddy looking long needle is the main jet adjustment needle. This seats down into the end of the brass tube.

Beside it all is the wonderful O ring which in this pic is not that wonderful.
If you want to look at yours and see if it is in bad condition I urge you to do so. If you need a new O ring, just go to Lowe's plumbing department where they have sink fawcet O rings. You want a #5 or #6.
You get a bag of 10 for something like $1.29.
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix as no one has mentioned 'the O ring' yet............ pg

Quick Reply: 38mm bendix main jet size