Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'73 Charging system problem

Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 PM
BRIZ
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, been reading your generator threads....
I've had this problem and had 3 different gen's and 2 regulators....
You stated an XLH....pretty sure XLH is still an electric start mod....
Your regulator looks like a Bosch type which is for a kicker....
electric mod is a Delco Remy and much larger....
could be the reg fried....
Also, the info from the 79' is for a solid state regulator. the amperage test is the one needed....
You might want to check the brushes though....
also, the points inside the reg may be pitted, but be careful with the air gap setting.... have seen many of regs screwed up by improper air gap settings...
I finally got tired of the problems caused with the gen system and changed to a alternator conversion kit....
&400.00, but trouble free and runs high power lights and dakota digital speedo,tach....
simple and puts out over 14 volts....
just a thought....
B

Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nwpaironhead
Think I might be on to something here!? I made all connections, flashed the field and the generator clunked. This time it was not followed by the regulator clicking. I disconnected the tan wire from the "GEN" pole on the regulator, turned on the key...no "GEN" light! But then, the regulator clicked and the light came on. So I tried re-connecting everything and flashing it again, but the regulator just keeps clicking about a second after the generator clunks. Is my regulator smoked from running the bike without flashing the field?

Here are a couple of pics of my regulator. Is it the correct one?

Attachment 75517Attachment 75518

I have another regulator. It is old though. Should I try it?

Thanks!
BRIZ just handed you some good advice. Listen to what he is saying.

I certainly do not mean to be blunt, but you have been jumping around all over the place with the generator.

Calm down a bit. Do one thing at a time or else you may get something correct but in the flurry of activity you do something else incorrect. This situation make s it impossible to eliminate the problem, or even find the problem.

So do this and do it first:
Run the generator check using the ammeter.
See if it develops 10 amps or does not.
Let the results guide you to the next step. NOT STEPS, but STEP.

This step will either be opening up the generator if it's output is below 10 amps, or going to the regulator if the output is above 10 amps.
An in-between step will be making sure the generator signal light is not grounded.
But check the gen output first...... all else follows one thing at a time.

Don't go tearing into the regulator either. There is a test for that.
As BRIZ asked............Do you have a Bosch (XLCH) or a Delco-Reamy (XLH) regulator?

Flashing the field is the last thing you do, after all the wires are connected and before starting the engine. If you remove wires after flashing, you have to flash again..... so this is done last.
In the meantime, if you have to disconnect wires and start the engine to run tests, well that is the way you do it.
When you are absolutely through working on the bike is when you flash the field. Don't worry about doing it before that time or you will just be chasing your tail. It is not going to fry a regulator.
pg

Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Did I say XLH? Oops. Sorry. I meant XLCH. Guess that's a good thing. I've got the right regulator.

Hmm, So you guys picked up on the fact that I'm a bit flustered eh? Think I'll...then I'll.. and then if that doesn't do it I'll... Uh, ya time to slow down!

Tomorrow, after work, the output test. I'll post after that.

Thank you guys! For the help and calling me on my somewhat frantic state. I tend to need that from time to time.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Did I say XLH? Oops. Sorry. I meant XLCH. Guess that's a good thing. I've got the right regulator.

Hmm, So you guys picked up on the fact that I'm a bit flustered eh? Think I'll...then I'll.. and then if that doesn't do it I'll... Uh, ya time to slow down!

Tomorrow, after work, the output test. I'll post after that.

Thank you guys! For the help and calling me on my somewhat frantic state. I tend to need that from time to time.
Good deal!
We look forward to seeing what the generator output is and then go from there.
pg

Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser
Thumbs up Generator output test results

Went out to the garage and performed the generator output test. And only the generator test. I used the method exactly as described in the directions you gave me . This is exactly how I performed it last time, with the old generator. Although I liked the results much better this time.

With the throttle locked at 2000 RPM,
Attachment 75739

I got a reading of about positive 18 amperes!
Attachment 75740

With the old generator, I was getting negative 9 amperes.

Still not real sure where to go from here. Is it fixed? The results have led me to the regulator, I think. Should I test the generator lig...uh, here I go again.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Went out to the garage and performed the generator output test. And only the generator test. I used the method exactly as described in the directions you gave me . This is exactly how I performed it last time, with the old generator. Although I liked the results much better this time.
With the throttle locked at 2000 RPM,
Attachment 75739
I got a reading of about positive 18 amperes!
Attachment 75740
With the old generator, I was getting negative 9 amperes.
Still not real sure where to go from here. Is it fixed? The results have led me to the regulator, I think. Should I test the generator lig...uh, here I go again.
Any recommendations or suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

Your generator is developing the output you are looking for. I call it fixed.
The next step is make sure you do not have that generator signal light grounded. Remove the indicated wire from the voltage regulator and make sure it does not touch metal while you do the test.
Do the test.
Is the light grounded? If so, find out where it is grounding. It will be at the bulb base or somewhere in the wiring. You will have to find this and fix it before you can proceed further.

My main computer and scanner just quit working so I will not be able to post any information until I can find the problem and fix that.
pg

Old 10-28-2009, 07:27 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

My main computer and scanner just quit working so I will not be able to post any information until I can find the problem and fix that.
pg
[/quote]

You just can't catch a break, can you?! Fix your bike, tell me how to fix mine, now the computer. Eesh! Good luck!

I'm headin back out to the garage to perform the "GEN" light test.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

The next step is make sure you do not have that generator signal light grounded. Remove the indicated wire from the voltage regulator and make sure it does not touch metal while you do the test.
Do the test.
Is the light grounded? If so, find out where it is grounding. It will be at the bulb base or somewhere in the wiring. You will have to find this and fix it before you can proceed further.

After re-reading the instructions you posted from the manual, I am assuming that the wires at the generator are to be connected to the "A" and "F" poles in order to conduct this test. Is this correct?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

pg
You just can't catch a break, can you?! Fix your bike, tell me how to fix mine, now the computer. Eesh! Good luck!

I'm headin back out to the garage to perform the "GEN" light test.

Thanks![/quote]
Yes, I built this computer in April of this year and put 4 hard drives into the case.
I have (had?) XP Pro on one drive, Vista on another drive, Windows 7 Evaluation OS on a third drive. Multiboot system and it has worked great.

Today I tried to put my new Windows 7 Pro onto that 4th drive and had problems. Almost got it to load on the second try but something happened.
Now the computer will not boot up on any of the 3 drives that are in there. Just a black screen with a flashing white dot.
Love computers!!! Not really.
pg

Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

ooh man. That sounds kinda major. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. (I know even less about computers than I do bikes, so if you need me to send something or a simple task like that, I'm all over it) Again, best of luck to you.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '73 Charging system problem