Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine new problems

Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Tool Engineer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine new problems

Proud owner of a M8 and love it, been riding H-D's for over 40 years and have owned many different types of Harleys from Sprints to now M8. It is a great MC and the motor co finally listened to what the riding public had to say! However as with any "new" product issues do happen, I have had it back to the dealer 4 times for oil leak located in the front portion of the bike. Oil port feeding the cooler, clamps , a hose was replaced, this isnt 1966 they aren't suppose to leak this day in time. I ride roughly 12,000 miles a year and so far ( the bike only has 1400 miles on it ) I like it the ride is the best EVER IT HAS GREAT POWER AND HANDLING I live in North Carolina so there are some fantastic places to ride to. I have also heard a "ping" under acceleration back to the dealer, i was told they couldn't hear it, sounds like a spark knock to me but I was told it COULD NOT spark knock due to knock sensors ect associated with the fuel management systems? ?? Who knows I ride it new bike new problems glad it is on record with Harley-davidson just in case it is detonation, has anyone else heard a pinging under acceleration from around 2500 RPM?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Yes, I can get mine to ping as well. The anti-knock system is greatly improved but it's not perfect. No biggie. When it has happened I simply roll forward on the throttle and start looking for better gas.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:19 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

No ping here. I've ran nothing but 91 real gas in mine. Then the sad reality hit me. When I hit the road some parts of our once great country don't have real gas. All they have is that crap ethanol gas. So next fill up I will poison the bike to see how it does on crap gas.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

We have one station in are town that sales ethanol free 91 octane and that's what my bikes get but when I am away I put nothing but 91 in and they for the most part do fine although my 2012 did ping once in a while. Fuel Moto couldn't even get it out of it with one of there custom tunes so I am sure there are some bikes that just flat out have to ping.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,218 Likes on 3,603 Posts

I use crappy Socal gas and no ping.. Top end has valve rattles a little but not bad..

Old 01-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

For a minute I thought I needed glasses. or had too much coffee this morning. Kept seeing double posts..

just in case I missed the original post..

no pinging on mine.. btw congrats on your new bike! sorry to hear you are having an awful first impressions with the new bike. From what I have seen and heard the oil leak is a known issue caused by the type of hose clamp HD used during assembly. HD used a spring loaded clamp instead of the traditional screw type hose clamp. Apparently they come loose or are not positioned properly. The easy fix is to swap it out for a screw on type. My local HD shop is doing that to all of their customers during service. I have not had any issues with mine nor have I swapped mine out but I intend to do so when I bring it in for its oil change come spring. Just something to consider.

Overall the bike is great and a huge improvement in so many ways. I know you'll love it. ride safe.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

There was a production change on the oil cooler clamps, Mine came with crimp on clamps like the shovels had years ago. I hate worm drive clamps so when My fan assist cooler was installed I had them use crimp on clamps.

Now, Because there have been issues, in case I get a leak there, I see there is plenty of room to add a second clamp, so I carry a couple worm drives in my kit.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:00 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

had the same oil leak issue. they replaced the plumbing up front on my M8. The dealer has said that they are experiencing issues with the hose and hose clamps (in fact they had to order the hose, it was not in stock). Have not heard any "ping" under acceleration.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Tool Engineer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the post, i run 93 octane and have even added octane booster still has ping. Love the bike and will continue riding might put a vance & hines controller on it to see if the auto tune helps or not??? Anyone running one of theit controllers?

Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have 6,900 on mine and have run 87 octane from day one and no pinging ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New engine new problems