Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,602 Likes on 5,171 Posts

I have no issue running 10% ethanol blend. Here 91 non ethanol gas is easy to find. But when it comes time to fuel up either ones is ok with me. Other than small engines like chain saw mowers the 10% ethanol does seem to bother anything.
I put a little sea-foam in as winter approaches and of course use some for storage. Often add a few OZ's at oil change.
Non blended gives a slight increase in mileage , but really no major difference in the 2 options here.
91 no ethanol
93 10% ethanol

Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
So all the trashed Onan RV gen sets, my shed full of trashed weed eaters and leaf blowers don't run because?
Everyone buys 11%+ ethanol fuel?
Ethanol fuel only absorbs water in East Tennessee?
Ethanal fuel only goes stale and brown where I live?
I could go on.

I have read many of your posts over the years and they are mostly on point, was this post serious?
It's the oil mix that dries up and sticks the small diaphragm vacuum fuel pump. 10% is ethanol.

Modern FI Harleys are pretty sealed so moisture cannot get to the fuel system. In fact, ethanol actually absorbs a small amount of water with ever new tank full. I work on boats also and water in their tanks has just about disappeared as a problem.

MyHarley set longer this year than it ever has. I was traveling Nov-April out of the country. It fired right up and I never did anything to it before I left last year. Lawn mower and tractor also. Did top off their tanks. Will prime the weed eater good but have not fired it up yet.. Outboard ran fine but I drained carbs on it with the bowl drains since it's oil mix.

And yes, I am serious about my post based on fact. Do you work on this equipment and base your knowledge on what you see or hear or are told?

Let me get back on point..Just talking 10% ethanol. If it has a carburetor and it's going to sit months. It needs to be drained. Running it out of fuel only draws down to that bottom jet and then that fuel mix dries up no matter what. The next time it sits, it's stopped up. Not sure about your Onan RV gen sets but they should have a drain on the fuel bowl. If not, the bowl needs to be dropped and the fuel line needs to be left off since if fuel is above it, that needle and seat will leak enough to slowly refill as it dries up if left sitting for months. Usually, fuel bowl drains only need to be broken free and then snugged back up. They have a slit in threads to let fuel out after you back off from the screw face. Especial outboards. If you screw them totally out, usually, you can't get to them to get them back in.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktop37
Hello everyone ,what a beautiful day in Kansas it was to ride today. I'm learning everything about my new Road King, Before I took delivery I found a gas station that has premium with no ethanol. Reading through the owner's manual it makes you believe that everything on that motor is setup to run ethanol and that you need to use it. Is it possible that with all the electronics that are set up we really need to use the ethanol fuel? I was going to stay completely away from it because of what it does to my small engines and yard tools. The damage IS unbelievable. What do you think?
The issue with ethanol is 100% "political" ! It was a "Big Green" effort that was environmentally a total flop and which, since its inception, cost taxpayers and consumers untold billion$ in return for nothing, SFA, nada, not one effing thing !! ITS A TOTAL "BIG GREEN" EMBARRASSMENT which they are nonetheless politically bound to defend!!

If you have the option and inclination not to use it then don't use it. Ethanol free gasoline will be a perfect choice for your new RK. Harley Davidson has recently been fined $12 million over EPA infractions owing to the SEST tuner. Needless to say, HD is under the gun, hence the gay wording in your manual. Thats just the MoCo bending over frontwards to pacify the EPA.

Go with the 0E premium gas as "you" wish bro and enjoy that new ride !

Last edited by HKMark23; 04-24-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

If I could run E85 in mu bike I would. Never a problem in my car and makes over 2000 hp and cost 1.75 a gal

Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Do not run E85 in Harleys or even most cars unless they have a decal on them saying it is OK. The decals will be flexible-fuel vehicle (FFV) or dual-fuel vehicle most called flex-fuel.
See them on Fords and Chevy.

Now that is 100% "political" and not necessary since oil is now way below E85. Do they still sell E85 anywhere?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,523 Likes on 4,424 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
If I could run E85 in mu bike I would. Never a problem in my car and makes over 2000 hp and cost 1.75 a gal
what kind of gallons per mile do you get :-)

Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
what kind of gallons per mile do you get :-)
not in it i get 15. 1/4 mile pass i have no clue lol

Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

here in europe we have zero problems running the 10% bio ethanol, cause all manufatures must make hoses and injectors for it, maybe some off your problems is because you can get crappy gas at the stations.
E85 is at almost every gasstation in sweden, but that´s a another ball game.

regards
Sören

Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 AM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's the oil mix that dries up and sticks the small diaphragm vacuum fuel pump. 10% is ethanol.

Modern FI Harleys are pretty sealed so moisture cannot get to the fuel system. In fact, ethanol actually absorbs a small amount of water with ever new tank full. I work on boats also and water in their tanks has just about disappeared as a problem.

MyHarley set longer this year than it ever has. I was traveling Nov-April out of the country. It fired right up and I never did anything to it before I left last year. Lawn mower and tractor also. Did top off their tanks. Will prime the weed eater good but have not fired it up yet.. Outboard ran fine but I drained carbs on it with the bowl drains since it's oil mix.

And yes, I am serious about my post based on fact. Do you work on this equipment and base your knowledge on what you see or hear or are told?

Let me get back on point..Just talking 10% ethanol. If it has a carburetor and it's going to sit months. It needs to be drained. Running it out of fuel only draws down to that bottom jet and then that fuel mix dries up no matter what. The next time it sits, it's stopped up. Not sure about your Onan RV gen sets but they should have a drain on the fuel bowl. If not, the bowl needs to be dropped and the fuel line needs to be left off since if fuel is above it, that needle and seat will leak enough to slowly refill as it dries up if left sitting for months. Usually, fuel bowl drains only need to be broken free and then snugged back up. They have a slit in threads to let fuel out after you back off from the screw face. Especial outboards. If you screw them totally out, usually, you can't get to them to get them back in.
My biggest experience come from a little test in my cabnet. I have a steel can of mineral spirits and same can of alcohol. The cans have been there 2 years. The mineral spirit can looks as new as the day I bought it. The alcohol can is pitted and so corroded I cannot even get the lid off. Makes me wonder what the inside of our fuel tanks look like in our cars

Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

IMHO unless the fuel is sitting for extended periods of time in the tank/carb bowl it makes no real difference. In my HDs I run unleaded 93, a station less than 2 miles from me that I fill up at very often has Non-ethanol 89 and I use it in my small engines and generator. My small engines tiller, lawnmowers, Genset can all sit a while without being cranked where neither of my HDs go more than a few days without being ridden, I am usually on one or the other pretty much every day

Quick Reply: Ethanol