Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
wonder if we can get 87 octane Ethanol Free gas somewhere!...LOL

Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

As the original poster I apologize I never make my words clear enough and I need to work on it. I I did not want to start a debate on whether ethanol is good or not . I know everyone is sick of those.My question was the Harley Davidson manual acts like it's the only gas you can run and it will do well with it. I already know I don't want to use ethanol but I don't want to do something if the machine is designed for ethanol only I was seeking opinions as if that would be the case and that regular premium would harm it. My feeling is that it's lawyer gobbledygook but with all the engineering that's going on maybe it does take ethanol to make it work its best

Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktop37
As the original poster I apologize I never make my words clear enough and I need to work on it. I I did not want to start a debate on whether ethanol is good or not . I know everyone is sick of those.My question was the Harley Davidson manual acts like it's the only gas you can run and it will do well with it. I already know I don't want to use ethanol but I don't want to do something if the machine is designed for ethanol only I was seeking opinions as if that would be the case and that regular premium would harm it. My feeling is that it's lawyer gobbledygook but with all the engineering that's going on maybe it does take ethanol to make it work its best
Hahaha, nobody ever intends to start anything. You could simply post "I just bought a new Harley Davidson ABC motorcycle and amidst the well wishes and congratulatory posts it would devolve to a smattering of posts about which model is better and why. Welcome to the it's-only-my-opinion forum.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,599 Likes on 5,169 Posts

Companies like HD have to play ball with the EPA and tree huggers if not they suffer even more . So yes the way HD words it is to appease the EPA.
I do not have an issue with 10% blend, but common sense tells you it is not the best option.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 PM
31scout
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

The 10% ethanol gas will work in your bike but that stuff is horrible in small engines especially when it sits for any length of time.
When I was able to run pure gas in my '04 EG Classic, I have gotten up to 50 MPG on the highway. With the ethanol gas, the maximum I get is 44 MPG and that's on a good day. I have a couple other bikes I ride and the results are the same, I get better gas mileage with the pure gas, sometimes more than 10% better.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Harley engineered your bike to work with ethanol by adding the proper lines and corrosion protection. The oxygen sensors will handle gasoline and up to 10% alcohol. The BTU in straight gasoline is higher, so at WOT, your bike will generate more total HP. Also, stands to reason, with ethanol, it has about 3% less BTU in it than pure gas. So your mileage will be down slightly since it takes more to do the same work. My bike car very 8-10 mpg depending on how and where I drive it. I personally do not think you will notice 3% real world.
I have no choice but ethanol and I know from all these years experience, it hurts nothing. If mid-grade or premium regular gas is convenient, go for it. It will run just fine.