Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best $100.00 I ever spent

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:48 PM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Fitted mine today & what a difference to the ride.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Time2ride
Don't even care how it looks- easily removed if I choose, but what a difference! Turned a bike that beat me up, rattled my glasses and lifted my helmet into something I can ride all day and into the night. Just need to get them powder coated now.
OP---Back in 2009 I bought a pair of fork mounted wind deflectors that were
powder coated black, from www.paughco.com in Carson City Nevada.

That helped A lot with the wind buffeting, I also had the same 7 hole wind deflector
you have. It was the same size you have, so I went to Long Ride Shields and had
make a 18 inch re-curved shield that did the trick almost no buffeting from that
point on. I had to take apart the frame and put the LRS re-curve shield into it.

I think I still an old re-curved windshield in the shed somewhere, I will have to check.
P.S. You want to get ahold of James@LongRideShielfs.com or call 775-331.3789

John

Last edited by OldPhat; 09-15-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:36 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I bought a set of HD fangz for my 17 RK. The left one fits great. The right one hits the crash bar no matter how it's adjusted. And moving the lights forward is not going to help. I took them off and there setting on the bench.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:57 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

There is some adjustment to the fangs via their slotted holes. The slots can be enlarged via grinding them. If needed they can be twisted slightly away from the engine bar with little effect on performance.

The engine bar has some fore and aft slop available. Loosen all three frame fasteners and move the lower attach points to gain some clearance.

I've installed several on my bikes (Softail and Touring) and have always found a fit that worked. I try for about 3/16" clearance between the fang and engine bar.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 AM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Rattle canned them black,added an LED headlight and a clearview 16" recurved shield. Look close and you can see the DK Customs cooling wings peeking out. They seem to direct some air flow to the lower legs,but can’t really say for sure how much of a difference they make-here in AZ it’s either hot or not quite as hot.
Real happy with the wind protection for long rides and easy to strip down for when I want the wind.

Attached Thumbnails Best 0.00 I ever spent-ecb53d65-1174-474d-a794-fdda662236a0.jpeg  
Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I cut my windshield down and like to have some wind in my face.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Amazing how they eliminate all that air knocking your head around. Don't particularly like the look but if you're riding long distance you won't care. Definitely money well spent.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 PM
GaryInDelta
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some rain protection, too

Had fangs on a shovel EG and a '93 Heritage. On both I noticed (w/ light to moderate rain) that from the tops of 10"-12" boots up, my jeans stayed mostly dry.
That said, I'd try to keep 'em off during very hot weather...

Gary In Delta

Old 11-21-2017, 12:42 PM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
One thing to watch out for if you plan to mount the H-D fangs on an SG... they interfere with the auxiliary (fog/driving) light kit because the light kit changes the position of the turn signals. You can see the comparison in these pictures. One thing that might work - mounting the fangs "backwards" would most likely clear the turn signal, but you'd loose turning radius as they would hit the crash bar.
Appreciate the heads up on this Furry. I was contemplating these but this answered my question.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:26 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Still messin with these fangs. Took them off for awhile and ran with the ashtray deflector but was getting beat up more than I liked on long rides (I'm getting old). Put them back on last night night and removed the ashtray and went for a spin. Buffeting gone again but had a stationary pool of heat on my lower legs...so, this morning I'm thinking I need a compromise- I'd accept a little more wind coming up if I could get some wind on my legs to move the hot air. Seeing the hole already drilled for turn signal wires that I don't need, I drilled a another mounting hole in the bottom of the fangs, which raised the fangs an inch and a half. Went for a ride and for me it's a good compromise- I get air moving on my lower legs and still not too much buffeting, plus I think they look better closer to the shield and not dropping down so much. Now I'm thinking about whether I'm going to slot them for adjustment or trim the top below the stock upper hole before I get them powder coated.

Attached Thumbnails Best 0.00 I ever spent-img_4809.jpg   Best 0.00 I ever spent-img_4810.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best $100.00 I ever spent