Sponsored by:

Checking plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Roadster
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Checking plugs

This question maybe irrelevant in the these day's of fuel injection. Back in the day when we had done a jet change in the carburetor or changed out the mufflers, we would take the bike out on the road and ride at about 60 mph for a few miles, hit the kill switch pull off the side of the roadway and pull a plug and check out the color. Using this system we would have a pretty good idea if the bike was running rich or lean. Today with on the talk of slip-ons running lean requiring a stage one or two. It seems to me that if the old system was still workable it might end some of the guessing out of just adding slip-ons. After installing a K & N 1717 air filter I used that system and checked the plugs, they looked normal in color. Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2017, 02:32 PM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I remember a friend of mine doing a plug check that way back in the 80s. No clue if it works on M8. Besides, I think you have to remove the fuel tank on an M8 model to get to the plugs so I don't think it is something you can do on the side of the road.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadster
This question maybe irrelevant in the these day's of fuel injection. Back in the day when we had done a jet change in the carburetor or changed out the mufflers, we would take the bike out on the road and ride at about 60 mph for a few miles, hit the kill switch pull off the side of the roadway and pull a plug and check out the color. Using this system we would have a pretty good idea if the bike was running rich or lean. Today with on the talk of slip-ons running lean requiring a stage one or two. It seems to me that if the old system was still workable it might end some of the guessing out of just adding slip-ons. After installing a K & N 1717 air filter I used that system and checked the plugs, they looked normal in color. Thanks in advance
Is there a question here?

Originally Posted by GFVIII
I remember a friend of mine doing a plug check that way back in the 80s. No clue if it works on M8. Besides, I think you have to remove the fuel tank on an M8 model to get to the plugs so I don't think it is something you can do on the side of the road.

Agree. Change every 20K I think is interval in the owners manual

Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadster
probably much ado about nothing if just adding slip-ons, or just a replacement filter....suppose one could just take the approach of re-tuning if changing any engine performance related enhancements..engine should run better and be happier, along with the rider..can recoup some of the $$ by spending less on chrome knickknacks and doodads