Sponsored by:

rocker covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 08:15 PM
jestor
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default rocker covers

hey everyone, so i’m planning on changing both upper and lower rocker covers to powder coated covers. wondering what’s all involved in changing them out. do i need to remove the rocker arms for the lower base cover? anyone change theirs out? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 12-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

The tank, pushrods and rocker arms have to be pulled. If you’re doing all that this would be a good time to upgrade your cam and pump. Depending on the cam you may be able to use the stock rods - saves weight and mass over adjustables.

Have fun. Sounds like a nice DIY project.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:54 AM
CharliesHarley
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
The tank, pushrods and rocker arms have to be pulled. If you’re doing all that this would be a good time to upgrade your cam and pump. Depending on the cam you may be able to use the stock rods - saves weight and mass over adjustables.

Have fun. Sounds like a nice DIY project.
removing the tank and oil lines for sure, but removing the rocker arms and push rods is not required. If you rotate the engine to where all 4 valves are fully open the lower rocker cover will come off, if you are not going to replace the cam. It is a little PIA job... i found that the snapon 7/16" x 1/4" drive socket made it "much easier" to remove the rear cyl. Upper cover box bolts. Also I replaced all the bolts and cleaned all the treads, they were IMOP over torqued and stretched at factory. Some do break when removing..

Old 12-17-2017, 12:04 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Two replies and two different answers. Kinda shows how valuable a service manual is. Just an opinion, but I think Leaving the lowers chrome looks much better. What ever you do, Have a blast doing it. Good times!

Old 12-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

The issue of tight bolts and snapped stems is caused by Harley. The white coarse loctite they apply should only be used on large external security bolts,like foot pegs etc.
When removing the rocker bolts some of them will turn and come to a seized halt!
Take great care at this stage, gently retighten a half turn and loosen a full turn alternately until it is out. Do not clamp your hand on a spanner this small,use just yout thumb and fingers.If they seem to seize no matter what you do?Dont get agressive or panic.Ensure that the Tank is a safe distance away and apply moderate heat to the bolt head with a small hand held butane heater.Remove the bolt whilst the locktite is still hot. Before reassembly wire buff all the white crap locktite off. Reassemble with just one drop of medium strength blue locktite.Remember the thumb and finger principle my old man taught me when torquing.Good Technique beats good Luck was also his Mantra!

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Yeah. The LT they are using on the bolts sucks.. PQs methods are sound.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 AM
jestor
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

right on guys, might just to the top cover don't feel like removing rocker arms and push rods.