Sponsored by:

Piece of Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Piece of Advice

When upgrading or building an engine and using a kit (regardless who manufactures it), the smart thing to do is to check all tolerance prior to assembling. Even if you send you cylinders to a machine shop....still check the work. Everyone can make mistakes. Failure to take the time to do this can result in your engine destroying itself.

Trust; but, verify. There has been a lot of talk about the stage kits from harley being out of round. This practice will preclude you being pissed of later. I'm not so sure that the dealer techs double check the tolerances when installing the kit......I would demand they do so.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

And they will tell you sure they did regardless if they did or not.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:02 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

This falls under common sense if you have any experience with engine building.

The following users liked this post:
LXT (03-28-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
When upgrading or building an engine and using a kit (regardless who manufactures it), the smart thing to do is to check all tolerance prior to assembling. Even if you send you cylinders to a machine shop....still check the work. Everyone can make mistakes. Failure to take the time to do this can result in your engine destroying itself.

Trust; but, verify. There has been a lot of talk about the stage kits from harley being out of round. This practice will preclude you being pissed of later. I'm not so sure that the dealer techs double check the tolerances when installing the kit......I would demand they do so.
From what I've personally experienced, I seriously doubt that a dealer "tech" even has a clue how to do that. They just bolt all them purty parts on and hope for the best.

They ain't the brightest bulbs in the box.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

You’re painting all techs with one brush. Generalizing doesn’t do justice to those who DO bring the necessary skill sets to the table - and most do.

I was ASE certified throughout my career (Advanced Level) and believe me; if you don’t have the diagnostic ability to see through problems, your career will be cut short anyway.

All of us have rough days at work sometimes. That doesn’t mean I’ll call out every man in the building as an idiot.

One step I take is to get to know lead techs at any shop - car or bike - before patronizing them for sales OR service. It ain’t always about the lowest sales price.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steel Wheels:
mjwebb (03-29-2018), Prot (03-29-2018), SWMB (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

So, what you're saying is, when the dealer, indy or whoever gets the jugs, show up to the shop with your cylinder bore gauge and check the tolerances before they mount them on the bike?

While you're at it, might as well check the valves with a custom made vacuum tool to check for bleed down and a micrometer to check piston size against the bore.

In my experience, anyone who has these expensive tools laying around (not harbor freight) and has the knowledge to properly use them along with the correct tolerances wouldn't have their bike at a shop, they'd instead have it on a bench at home doing it themselves to insure it's done correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

The following 4 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
mjwebb (03-29-2018), MotoJockey (03-29-2018), Prot (03-29-2018), SoCalHDMC (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 05:18 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
You’re painting all techs with one brush. Generalizing doesn’t do justice to those who DO bring the necessary skill sets to the table - and most do.

I was ASE certified throughout my career (Advanced Level) and believe me; if you don’t have the diagnostic ability to see through problems, your career will be cut short anyway.

All of us have rough days at work sometimes. That doesn’t mean I’ll call out every man in the building as an idiot.

One step I take is to get to know lead techs at any shop - car or bike - before patronizing them for sales OR service. It ain’t always about the lowest sales price.
No Sir, I am NOT painting all service/repair techs with one brush - just the brain-dead H-D dealership "techs".

Sure, there are lots of knowledgeable, honest, hard working mechanics out there, it's just that Harley dealers refuse to hire any of 'em.

Hell, I've been making a living as an aircraft mechanic myself (A&P/IA) for around 40 years now. No failures, complaints or issues with any of the work I've ever done over all those years, either - not one - and I probably make about the same amount per hour as those Harley dealership hacks do, too - not that that should make any difference.

In my line of work, if you're having a "bad day", then you go home rather than end up possibly being responsible for maiming or killing or, at the very least, scaring the **** out of somebody due to the shoddy work you've done. No warranty re-do of half-assed work will help anybody in the bottom of a big smokin' hole in the ground!

CLAIMING that you're a trained, competent technician in any given field and actually BEING one are two completely, totally different things, and I'm sure that you can agree with that. All of the H-D "techs" that I've ever met or talked to definitely belong to the "claimer" group.

I'm not saying that there are exactly zero competent Harley dealership mechanics in the world, just that they're so few and far-between that I've never met or known one, and sure as hell won't be takin' the chance by ever having one touch my bike.

Last edited by jpooch00; 03-29-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,081 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Aaaannnnnnndddddddd we're off!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

OP is an idiot with a superiority complex. His second post in this thread confirms it

He is so thorough with his checks that he bought a brand new road king and had it for a while before realizing it didn't have ABS even though that was the number one feature he wanted on a new bike.

Last edited by Prot; 03-29-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:28 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
So, what you're saying is, when the dealer, indy or whoever gets the jugs, show up to the shop with your cylinder bore gauge and check the tolerances before they mount them on the bike?

While you're at it, might as well check the valves with a custom made vacuum tool to check for bleed down and a micrometer to check piston size against the bore.

In my experience, anyone who has these expensive tools laying around (not harbor freight) and has the knowledge to properly use them along with the correct tolerances wouldn't have their bike at a shop, they'd instead have it on a bench at home doing it themselves to insure it's done correctly.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed! Exactly why I prefer to do engine assembly myself. Tolerances are specified for a reason. Assuming that new piston and cylinder set (or anything!) is on the money is folly, as quality machinists are not as prevalent as they used to be either (at least on the left coast!).