Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M3 Ventilator - possible help from sumping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Given all I've read about this, I would agree with what others have said, sumping seems to most prevalent on bikes with a combination of multiple factors coming together to make the perfect storm so to speak.

Very bad news for those that it happens to, but still a relatively rare occurrence in the total number of motors built. Which could also explain why some bikes sump multiple times while others never do.

On those bikes that have multiple contributing factors HD's fix, pump and back plate seal, may not be enough to stop it from reoccuring. While on those bikes that have sumped due only to the seemingly biggest cause, the oil pump and no seal, changing the pump out and adding the seal on the back plate may prevent it from happening more than once.

I have to wonder if HD has set up a lab with multiple motors in it on which they're trying to create sumping in them through various means and combinations.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 PM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

i definitely have pressure build up,and it doesnt take long,brand new stock engine,just changed break in oil,i am being told this is normal.When my vent gets here im going to put a 10 lb gauge on it ad see what it reads,took video with phone,can send text with video but cant get it to load on site

Old 03-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Does anyone else think this entire thread is madness? Its 2019 and does anyone think that customers should need to re-engineer the mechanical operation of any brand new modern engine sold in the US market? Paticularly one like the M8 that supposedly had a million test miles on it before it was launched?

Sheer madness that anyone should have to consider jury rigging the venting of a brand new internal combustion engine in 2019. Makes no sense that so many find this acceptable. NEWSFLASH....... ITS NOT!

Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Does anyone else think this entire thread is madness? Its 2019 and does anyone think that customers should need to re-engineer the mechanical operation of any brand new modern engine sold in the US market? Paticularly one like the M8 that supposedly had a million test miles on it before it was launched?

Sheer madness that anyone should have to consider jury rigging the venting of a brand new internal combustion engine in 2019. Makes no sense that so many find this acceptable. NEWSFLASH....... ITS NOT!
This is a case of one or two riders having a particular symptom with their bikes, and looking for comparison information.

We understand that your passion is to over-magnify the size of a gnat.

Harley owners are unique among motorcyclists because they love to tinker and "re-engineer." Riders of Japanese bikes tend to have far fewer issues to tinker with, and are fairly bored with their boring motorcycles that never break and don't need tinkering.

You might be happier with a Honda.

The following users liked this post:
lp (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
This is a case of one or two riders having a particular symptom with their bikes, and looking for comparison information.

We understand that your passion is to over-magnify the size of a gnat.

Harley owners are unique among motorcyclists because they love to tinker and "re-engineer." Riders of Japanese bikes tend to have far fewer issues to tinker with, and are fairly bored with their boring motorcycles that never break and don't need tinkering.

You might be happier with a Honda.
Lol. 1 or 2? Really?? My passion is to ride and own reliable, powerful and functional motorcycles. My passion is NOT to re- engineer the basic design of a brand new engine so it functions properly. That’s what I paid the manufacturer to do in the first place.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am curious if anyone on the forum has tried the T-MAN vent that mounts at the dipstick position?

Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I installed the M3 vent on mine tonight. I did cut the hose and put the filter by the ABS module instead of just laying it on the engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by cmashark:
RinTin (03-28-2019), yobtaf103 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:35 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I don't understand why everyone is wanting to do this until someone shows a bike sumping on the dyno, then put the vented cap on and bam, no more sumping.
Seems everyone is putting the cart before the horse !

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (03-30-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I don't understand why everyone is wanting to do this until someone shows a bike sumping on the dyno, then put the vented cap on and bam, no more sumping.
Seems everyone is putting the cart before the horse !
Sorry, I am missing something. Who's bike sumped on the dyno? And your saying they installed a vented cap and it didn't do it anymore?

Old 03-29-2019, 05:56 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin
Sorry, I am missing something. Who's bike sumped on the dyno? And your saying they installed a vented cap and it didn't do it anymore?
Rin Tin, I'm asking a question as well. I do not understand why everyone is jumping on the venting bandwagon through the dip stick area when it's not proven to help sumping as some have stated. Yes a bike can sump on a dyno but that's what I'm asking. Whats the proof that the venting will help prevent sumping ?

Quick Reply: M3 Ventilator - possible help from sumping?