Sponsored by:

Primary issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 AM
timber0472
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primary issues?

Hey all. I've posted a question about this issue that I've been having and I think maybe I've been asking the wrong questions.
This is what's happening. 2018 RGS has this whining noise. It matches with revs. At first I was concerned about cam, oil pump, air box. Could not really locate. A week or two ago had a video pop up on YouTube that sounded exactly like what my bike sounds like however this guys bike had a ton of problems and was burning oil. One thing that was brought up was the tensioner. I was having horrible vibes at speed along with this noise. The bike never did this stock but I noticed it just started one day. With the suggestion of another member I did a few hard downshifts and the vibes stopped but the whine is still very loud. I was curious if the chain maybe the issue. Will a over tightened primary chain whine? Also will the whine get louder with the revs? If so what's the best fix? Less than 5 k on the bike and I've put on a 117 bb and cam. This is why I haven't taken to dealer bc it's not warranty. Just curious as to what you guys may have dealt with in your experiences. There's a video on YouTube of guy with 114 fat boy making same exact sound. Dont want to be a worrywart but something just doesn't seem "right".

One more quick note..the bike didnt start doing this right after the bb and cam. I just noticed it getting loud one day. Also it does seem to be coming from left side of bike and I've never had the primary apart.
Thanks.

Last edited by timber0472; 03-24-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:51 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by timber0472
Hey all. I've posted a question about this issue that I've been having and I think maybe I've been asking the wrong questions.
This is what's happening. 2018 RGS has this whining noise. It matches with revs. At first I was concerned about cam, oil pump, air box. Could not really locate. A week or two ago had a video pop up on YouTube that sounded exactly like what my bike sounds like however this guys bike had a ton of problems and was burning oil. One thing that was brought up was the tensioner. I was having horrible vibes at speed along with this noise. The bike never did this stock but I noticed it just started one day. With the suggestion of another member I did a few hard downshifts and the vibes stopped but the whine is still very loud. I was curious if the chain maybe the issue. Will a over tightened primary chain whine? Also will the whine get louder with the revs? If so what's the best fix? Less than 5 k on the bike and I've put on a 117 bb and cam. This is why I haven't taken to dealer bc it's not warranty. Just curious as to what you guys may have dealt with in your experiences. There's a video on YouTube of guy with 114 fat boy making same exact sound. Dont want to be a worrywart but something just doesn't seem "right".

One more quick note..the bike didnt start doing this right after the bb and cam. I just noticed it getting loud one day. Also it does seem to be coming from left side of bike and I've never had the primary apart.
Thanks.
including that link and/or a video clip of yours would be more helpful

Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 AM
timber0472
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mjwebb
including that link and/or a video clip of yours would be more helpful

Here's the link. Thanks for the input.
There's a guy in the comments that mentions plastic piece in primary solve the problem. Its translated from Portuguese...

Last edited by timber0472; 03-24-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:26 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

hmmm...whirring noise that increases..possible chain adjuster issue or inner primary bearing..? sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in to try and help you, good luck

Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM
timber0472
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mjwebb
hmmm...whirring noise that increases..possible chain adjuster issue or inner primary bearing..? sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in to try and help you, good luck
Thanks. It's been an ongoing issue and I'm gearing up for a 1500 mile trip to the mountains in April. Wanna get it resolved b4. Maybe dealer trip is needed....😡

Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. It's been an ongoing issue and I'm gearing up for a 1500 mile trip to the mountains in April. Wanna get it resolved b4. Maybe dealer trip is needed....😡
yeah, clock is ticking, I'd at least schedule a check and advise diagnosis asap at this point, might be something simple and not too expensive or might be able to DIY fix, good luck

Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks.
You don't say if you've checked the fluid levels in the tranny or primary. Is your bike transferring fluid? Check the levels to be certain that the transmission isn't too low and the primary isn't too high...
Dutchy

Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
You don't say if you've checked the fluid levels in the tranny or primary. Is your bike transferring fluid? Check the levels to be certain that the transmission isn't too low and the primary isn't too high...
Dutchy
I haven't checked those as of yet. I will do it this afternoon. I don't believe the carry-over is my issue, but I will check. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Well it may be possible that the "whirl" sound coming from the primary may be caused by too much oil in the primary. So I would check fluid levels in trans and primary first and go from there. Good luck and I hope your trip goes well!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Sounds like an overly tight primary chain. If the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch it could be the IPB.

Quick Reply: Primary issues?