Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice

Old 05-06-2019, 07:16 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Advice

So...I realize asking for advice on ANY forum is like asking trouble... I'm going to do it anyways.

Current ride is an 05 Ultra. Lots of Willie G customization. Floor boards, covers, etc.
Stage 1 only, Full Sac true duals, SE mufflers and SE1 Air FIlter kit with a tune.
Progressive Monotubes in front and Howard's Ohlins out back w/ Rezzie (these will come with me until my death...lol)

48K miles. Good running bike...zero issues.
In the last year I've put on fresh shoes, upgraded the cam chest to new spec, new sprockets on both ends and belt, brakes, etc.
It's road ready.

I'm looking at the 19 Limited.
Here are the wants for my current ride. Which, I should mention is and has been paid off for years.

More power
Nicer ride up front
I am a tech geek, so I like the GPS, bluetooth pairings for driver/passenger talk.
Better stereo
More comfort long hauls.

I know. I've gone over this in my head 100 times. I can easily put a 95 or 96 kit and a tuner on it. I can upgrade the stereo. I can upgrade GPS, etc.,
I can keep on dumping money into this bike.

Or, I can buy new and have everything I want. All I'd add is a heated seat, pipes and air cleaner.
I'll have the power I want, gadgets and tech I want, the 19 front end has to be light years beyond my current front end....

Money is not a factor as far as purchase and payment.

Anybody make that big of a jump to a new M8 from an old TC motor? Happy, regrets?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,330 Likes on 2,218 Posts

I just recently moved from a 19 year old TC88 Electra Glide to a new Street Glide Special. Even though I'm dealing with the fluid transfer issue, I would do it again in a heartbeat. There isn't a single thing about the old bike that I like better than the new one. Getting 200 or more miles per tank of fuel is one of my favorite things about the new bike, I was lucky to get 125 on the old one.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Go for it! I went from a 2005 FLHRCI (hot rodded) to 2014 TK and now the 2019 CVO Limited. I loved them all but I don't look back and would do it again.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by plongson
Go for it! I went from a 2005 FLHRCI (hot rodded) to 2014 TK and now the 2019 CVO Limited. I loved them all but I don't look back and would do it again.
I absolutely love that color combo in your sig.
I wish they had the red satin as an option for the Ultra Limited. I simply love it on the Street Glide.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:38 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the compliment!
Have you test rode the new line? You won't believe the improvement. Power...wow, like night and day. Dunno about the 114, but the 117 in the CVO pulls like a diesel compared to the 103. And the adjustable rear shock and bending valve front makes me think we won't be looking for aftermarket suspension. I also really like the new infotainment too...I'm just as happy as little girl all the way around.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
Current ride is an 05 Ultra.
you're due..treat yourself

Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by plongson
Thanks for the compliment!
Have you test rode the new line? You won't believe the improvement. Power...wow, like night and day. Dunno about the 114, but the 117 in the CVO pulls like a diesel compared to the 103. And the adjustable rear shock and bending valve front makes me think we won't be looking for aftermarket suspension. I also really like the new infotainment too...I'm just as happy as little girl all the way around.
I have not yet ridden the new line because I knew I'd be hooked. However, I think it's time I stop fighting and just get in line.
I'll be moving my Ohlins from the rear of my current Ultra to a new bike. I'd have a hard time believing even a new premium line HD shock would perform as good as Howard's Ohlins.

Fluid Transfer does concern me a little, but I am the type that checks fluids after every few hundred miles, is it blown out of proportion or is it really that big of a deal (I realize that question is opening a can of worms)
I read the other threads a little.

While I'm an old school wrench and like to work on my own stuff, I'm old enough now to realize I'd rather have the factory do it and under warranty.
I'll probably still do my own fluid changes...unless the dealer throws some maintenance in as well...

I've never bought a brand new bike, only trucks. So frankly, I'm not even sure what to ask for.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Just a reminder you cant do your own break line work like bleeding your brake line or system with out a special tools. all this type of work needs to be done by a dealer. Once your break the line your ABS system will never work right again until its reset by a dealer t his is the main reason i am getting away from them. I will be letting go of my 17 Ultra Classic in two more months not going to be a slave or be owned by HD i have always done my own break work this is the straw that broke the camels back.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Silentgreyfellow
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I highly recomend taking a new one for a test ride. After I took a test ride on my 18 Road king special there was no way I was riding back home on my 04 stage 2 fatboy. The only issue so far on the new king is it has the oil transfer problem. Its moved from the full line to the middle in 900 miles. Not sure how many ounces that is. I'm probley gonna get a fat rod and put that problem to rest soon.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Comments added in red:
Originally Posted by dajogejr
I have not yet ridden the new line because I knew I'd be hooked. However, I think it's time I stop fighting and just get in line. You'll be hooked!
I'll be moving my Ohlins from the rear of my current Ultra to a new bike. I'd have a hard time believing even a new premium line HD shock would perform as good as Howard's Ohlins. You're right - the newest HD shocks are still garbage. Even if your Ohlins are as old as your current bike, they're still better than the newest HD shocks.

Fluid Transfer does concern me a little, but I am the type that checks fluids after every few hundred miles, is it blown out of proportion or is it really that big of a deal (I realize that question is opening a can of worms)
I read the other threads a little. Yes it's real, no it doesn't happen to everyone, and yes sometimes it is really bad. It depends on your perspective: do you mind checking your fluid level regularly? Do you mind doing what it takes to take fluid out of primary and put it back in transmission (or better yet, using your warranty to have HD do it for you)? My transfer comes and goes: it didn't happen until 8,000 miles, then it went away for a few thousand, then it came back, then it's been away for a few thousand again. I probably only had at most 4 oz transfer over a few thousand miles. As far as getting a new bike, maybe just tell your dealership you won't trade your current bike in nor take delivery of the new bike until the primary vent is installed.

While I'm an old school wrench and like to work on my own stuff, I'm old enough now to realize I'd rather have the factory do it and under warranty.
I'll probably still do my own fluid changes...unless the dealer throws some maintenance in as well... Get at least the 1,000 mile service thrown in (most do). The rest is up to you - personally, I'm not going to pay $300+ every 5,000 miles. I do ALL my own service and keep personal records of everything I do to the bike as well as pictures of all receipts for any warranty purposes (this is a must if you do your own service and need warranty work completed).

I've never bought a brand new bike, only trucks. So frankly, I'm not even sure what to ask for. As said above. as far as getting a new bike, maybe just tell your dealership you won't trade your current bike in nor take delivery of the new bike until the primary vent is installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice