Sponsored by:

Tuning with a FP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 05:47 PM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Tuning with a FP3

First off, I have a 2017 FLHTK with a stock catted header. I installed an HD Ventilator air cleaner last year because I did not like the looks of the stock air cleaner. I knew I would be doing a stage 1 sooner or later so the air cleaner was a good start. There is definitely more intake noise with the Ventilator air cleaner. I’ve gone on several long trips with the air cleaner as the only upgrade, including a trip down the Oregon/California coast, and the bike ran fine.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I added SE Street Cannons without a tuner, and it feels like I lost some low-end power and acceleration. I’ve been riding without a tuner for the last 3 weeks without issue, but the low-end power loss was bothering me. I absolutely love the sound of the Street Cannons. They have a beautiful low rumble. Cruising at 3000 rpm in 6th gear they have a nice rumble that isn’t too loud. Did I say I love the sound of the Street Canons? With the Street Canons, the intake now has a snorting sound when I get throttle happy. My neighbor commented that my bike seems quieter when I come and go. Not sure about that.

Time for a tuner. I decided on the V&H FP3 after playing around with demo app on my phone. I like the way I can connect to the tuner using my phone via Bluetooth. I ordered the tuner through Amazon and had it in my hands in 2 days. After taking 10 minutes to install the tuner and another 10 minutes waiting for it to download updates, I flashed the bike with the base map for my setup, another 10 minutes.

The first thing I noticed when I started the bike was the idle seemed to be smoother as it warmed up. I went for a half hour ride to see if I could feel any difference by the seat of my pants. The low-end is back and throttle response seems to be better. Acceleration is much better, and it pulls very well in 5th and 6th gears. I want to play with the throttle progressivity setting still. Time to try auto tune.

So far, I have only done 2 auto tune runs. I did find that the rev limiter is set a bit low with the base map as I hit it a couple times. I’ll have to adjust that. Trying to get most of the cells to turn green is going to take some more time than I spent today. It started to rain. After applying the auto tunes I have done so far, the bike feels much better. Also seems to be running cooler. As others have said “The bike woke up”.

Of course, this isn’t the same as a good dyno tune but I’m happier than hell with the results so far. I would highly recommend the FP3 to anyone. The ease of use is a big plus in my book.

The following 4 users liked this post by UltraZac:
Dynamick (08-30-2019), Ernie DeBord (09-03-2019), RedOregon (09-03-2019), Thingfish (09-04-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:05 PM
TexasScott
Tourer
Received 224 Likes on 96 Posts

I’m happy with mine too.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,693 Likes on 3,240 Posts

Good review. I hear V&H's product support is great too, which is a definite plus. I will probably use the FP3 as I have no plans to go beyond Stage 1 with my SG.

If you don't mind Zac, what price were you able to get it for on Amazon? My usual Canadian sources (FortNine and Heritage Cycle Works) both want $585 for it.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 PM
UltraZac
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dynamick
If you don't mind Zac, what price were you able to get it for on Amazon? My usual Canadian sources (FortNine and Heritage Cycle Works) both want $585 for it.
I got it on Amazon for $562. I usually use Fortnine as my go to source for stuff but they were high this time. Of course you have to pay the dreaded GST on top of that. It took a lot of humming and hawing before I decided to get one for that price but I'm happy I did now.

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:57 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

autoplicity.com $327

Old 08-30-2019, 08:00 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

If you bump.the throttle response to standard plus it's a whole new ride. I was amazed at the difference. That alone has me sold on the FP3. Had one on my 16. Just put one on the wifes 15 Freewheeler and in 2 years I'll put one on my 19.

Nice write up.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:38 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Very happy with mine also.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:17 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I like the FP3 and how the FP3 has had many updates adding more features. Customer service is very good, just call or e-mail them. My throttle response is set "aggressive" I like the immediate throttle response. Also there is a new setting to turn off the speed limiter. I turned mine off but haven't tested it yet. Anybody know if the speed limiter works? Can you now go over 110 mph? Also I set my rev limiter to 5500 rpm. My bike pulls hard all the way up the rev line really good for just a stage one. I'm going to do the cam whenever the top end needs to be done about 150,000 miles LOL! This bike is the best Harley I've owned with no trouble so far at over 36k miles second set of tires and brake pads. So far no plans to sell or trade her.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,693 Likes on 3,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
autoplicity.com $327
Thanks for the lead, I'll have to see how that works out in CAD once exchange, shipping, duties etc. are factored in.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:36 PM
UltraZac
Tourer

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
I like the FP3 and how the FP3 has had many updates adding more features. Customer service is very good, just call or e-mail them. My throttle response is set "aggressive" I like the immediate throttle response. Also there is a new setting to turn off the speed limiter. I turned mine off but haven't tested it yet. Anybody know if the speed limiter works? Can you now go over 110 mph? Also I set my rev limiter to 5500 rpm. My bike pulls hard all the way up the rev line really good for just a stage one. I'm going to do the cam whenever the top end needs to be done about 150,000 miles LOL! This bike is the best Harley I've owned with no trouble so far at over 36k miles second set of tires and brake pads. So far no plans to sell or trade her.
Let's just say I didn't hit the speed limiter yesterday when I was playing around, but if there is one it should have kicked in. I'm going to raise the rev limiter to 6000. It is set to 5500 on the base map.

The following users liked this post:
SomeOld Biker (09-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Tuning with a FP3