Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take to shop to tune bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 07:50 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,791 Likes on 814 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but the best thing you can do is download the software (free on T-max's website) and learn what it is doing.

The Thundermax ECU has a LOT of capability. As mentioned, one of them is self-tuning to the loaded base tune. @chopper_man is correct. You will likely need to do an "Automap", which sets the new tune parameters closer to your particular bike's needs. A canned tune can only get so close. And, remember that "rich is safe." If you're going to toss out a generic tune for a broad range of bikes, you would want to stack a few fuel molecules in your favor, right? I believe it's more of a safety factor than searching for more power. IMHO.

So, once you get a few "Automaps" under your belt, the T-max should be getting close. BUT, there is so much more it can do! You can adjust the fuel to run a little less rich at cruise and adjust timing to safely see a few more mid-throttle ponies perhaps. Some folks even see gains by reducing timing. It all depends on what your bike wants. There are other facets such as tuning engine startup and fuel mixture at about every temperature. Speedo cals, fuel shut off on decel, and so many more items are right there in the program if you care to learn them.

I understand the trepidation of making changes inside that black box, but if you take your time to learn by watching the videos provided, you'll see how it all flows together. It's interesting to see the scope of people's ideas on the capability of T-max. Some consider it "install it and forget it", while others feel it is overly complicated, or can't control their particular situation. I feel it's somewhere in the middle. It'll only adjust the air/fuel to what it is told in the tune. But, you have the ability to change that for your liking. I did a little thread on adding Thundermax to my Softail. You can check it out here.

new-thunder-max-install-on-my-softail-springer

Don't be afraid to download the program and take a look at it. You don't even need to connect to your bike to do that.

The following users liked this post:
aarondeere (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 08:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,354 Likes on 3,685 Posts

@Tcrafty , I disagree. Look at my post.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:01 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,791 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
@Tcrafty , I disagree. Look at my post.
You mean about the auto-mapping? I see where you mention that it limits to 10% PER starting and run. I didn't know that. I thought it maxed at 10% - period.

Was my statement of running a few Automaps what you were referring to in disagreement?

Old 12-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,354 Likes on 3,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcrafty
You mean about the auto-mapping? I see where you mention that it limits to 10% PER starting and run. I didn't know that. I thought it maxed at 10% - period.

Was my statement of running a few Automaps what you were referring to in disagreement?

I called it autotune which is technically the original name for automap.. Zippers changed Autotune to Automap before they returned tech support to Thunderheart. It's not really an autotune.
It's not a bad idea to get a laptop and learn how to tweak the settings for sure. autotune Automap really doesn't do very much . It simply adds the offsets to the current injector PWs then clears them. What is good about updating the maps and clearing offsets is that you can watch to see how the tune is going.
I should talk to the guys at Zippers but I suspect that originally Zippers contracted with Thunderheart to do the Tmax, (Gen 1 and Gen 2). After some time they decided to give the distribution and support back to Thunderheart as it was taking more resources than they needed and TH could provide better/faster support.

The following users liked this post:
Tcrafty (12-12-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 09:02 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,068 Posts

So, I use PV tuners, so not the same as thundermax, but I will say I had the same thing happen to me on my 17 when I had a cam job done and only used a canned map.

Fuel mileage dropped to mid 30's, bike ran rich...I smelled gas all the time. It ran good though.

I finally got around to having it dyno tuned properly after about 5 months. Gas smell was gone, bike ran as good...maybe a little better, and mileage was back to mid 40's. Not sure I gained huge numbers with the dyno....didnt care...but Im sure I gained a little.

The following 2 users liked this post by teedoff65:
NorthWestern (12-13-2022), SWMB (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 09:12 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,627 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
So, I use PV tuners, so not the same as thundermax, but I will say I had the same thing happen to me on my 17 when I had a cam job done and only used a canned map.

Fuel mileage dropped to mid 30's, bike ran rich...I smelled gas all the time. It ran good though.

I finally got around to having it dyno tuned properly after about 5 months. Gas smell was gone, bike ran as good...maybe a little better, and mileage was back to mid 40's. Not sure I gained huge numbers with the dyno....didnt care...but Im sure I gained a little.
This! When I built my 128, Jamie built me a canned tune to make it all work, even with my Smart Tune wide bands mated to the PV, and the bike ran great, but the mileage was 30ish and you could smell the fat fumes.

I rode it all the way to Wisconsin for him to dyno tune it, and it makes all the difference in the world for mileage. That big bore regularly runs in the 40s, after that.

That was my 2nd bike I had done that with the PV like that, after engine upgrades. The canned tunes run just fine, but the proper dyno tunes are well worth any extra effort, time constraints, money...whatever inconveniences you have to put up with to get done.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:15 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,767 Likes on 2,423 Posts