Sponsored by:

Need some engine help m8

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 08:59 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmty
Good news is I went out and made sure my timing was right and it was right on. Next i started over with my TDC then once again adjusted all my pushrods making sure they was set right. I also added the 475C cam from VH to my current map. I put all my covers on and most all of my exhaust system enough to test my bike on the lift. Well I started the engine up this time it cranked much faster and I let it run to warm up like the good guys recommended on this forum to do. The more I let it warm up the smoother it seem to run and the motor run much better. I did notice one of my pushrod covers was leaking some oil from around the top area that I will have to work on.
Of course I haven’t tried riding it yet and really check it out further. I know if I can get it running half decent my next step is to replace my FP3 to a PV so I can hunt for a decent Dyno tuner around this area of Pensacola Fl. One again I want to give a big thanks to all of you that took the time to help me out on this install. I wanted to do this cam install for the education on learning my bike so if I ever break down out in no where maybe I’ll have the knowledge on how to fix it to get home or a shop. . Thanks guys
We have a great tuner real close in Lillian, AL. Go see Heath at H&D cycles. He tuned my old bike after I did a 106 kit and then I brought it back when my Drago 2 pipe came in. Both times the bike ran perfectly

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 10:49 PM
rcmty
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Eaglefan1, thanks for the heads up. I know where that place is at passed it many times just didn’t know they had a dyno there. I will probably get by there but first I’ll have to finish trying to get mine right so I could ride it that far and make sure I wouldn’t damage something. I also gotta get me a PV for my bike so then can tune it. Right now I’m running the fp3 which from what I understand most shops can’t dyno your bike with a fp3. Thanks for your information at lease I know where to start with a dyno.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:22 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 564 Posts

Eaglefan1, thanks for the heads up. I know where that place is at passed it many times just didn’t know they had a dyno there. I will probably get by there but first I’ll have to finish trying to get mine right so I could ride it that far and make sure I wouldn’t damage something. I also gotta get me a PV for my bike so then can tune it. Right now I’m running the fp3 which from what I understand most shops can’t dyno your bike with a fp3. Thanks for your information at lease I know where to start with a dyno.
You are correct about the FP3, you dont need a PV tuner the shop can sell you a license for about 200.00 and dyno your bike. After a good tune is put on it there should be zero reason to mess with it.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:54 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Call and talk to Heath before you buy anything. Like Jack said, probably just a license and be good.

FLTRI17 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:16 AM
rcmty
Tourer

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Call and talk to Heath before you buy anything. Like Jack said, probably just a license and be good.

Ok, that sounds even better lust letting the shop put the tune on and be done with it. Hopefully I’ll get to ride mine today and see if the engine will stop all the noisy lifters that’s tapping in my engine. I’ll give you guys heads up on my test ride results.

The following 2 users liked this post by rcmty:
Fireball Jack (02-01-2023), FLTRI17 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:38 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 607 Likes on 420 Posts

Also consider Heath will be able to test and identify any running issues as he’s tuning it. Not to mention he will be able to quantify the mods you’ve done. There is virtually NO downside to having your bike professionally tuned by a competent tuner like Heath.
It will be the very best thing you will do for your bike and consider the more you run the bike way out of tune the more chance damage will occur…sometimes not realized for many miles.
A happy, properly assembled, broken in, and tuned engine will provide a great ride with reliability.
Rule of thumb: If you’re not a surgeon don’t try to do heart surgery…successfully.
Bob

Old 02-01-2023, 12:55 PM
rcmty
Tourer

Done about a 10 mile test ride and it runs but nothing like it should and sounds more like a motor cross bike. The lifters are still pretty loud so I’m going to adjust them to 3.1/2 like fuel Moto told me instead of the 4 turns. If this doesn’t work then I’ll most likely put it in a shop to see if they can get it running correctly.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:53 PM
rcmty
Tourer
Default Finally finished

Well after I rode my bike this evening it didn’t run good and sounded more like a motor cross bike. The lifters was raising hell mostly in the front head. Late this afternoon I decided I would go back out in my garage and give my pushrods another adjustment and set Them on the 31/2 full turns. Well got it back together fired my bike up and it sounded awesome just like I was wanting it to sound like plus now I have no lifter noise anymore. The good thing is my fp3 with the down load VH sent me works real good too. So the fp3 seems to work good with a stage 2 set up. Not saying I want later on switch over to the PV when I get it dyno set up. I want to again thank everyone for their input on my post for help because I sure needed it with this being my first cam kit install on my own. I did learned about a shop not to far away from my location that has a dyno and told he’s good.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Well after I rode my bike this evening it didn’t run good and sounded more like a motor cross bike. The lifters was raising hell mostly in the front head. Late this afternoon I decided I would go back out in my garage and give my pushrods another adjustment and set Them on the 31/2 full turns. Well got it back together fired my bike up and it sounded awesome just like I was wanting it to sound like plus now I have no lifter noise anymore. The good thing is my fp3 with the down load VH sent me works real good too. So the fp3 seems to work good with a stage 2 set up. Not saying I want later on switch over to the PV when I get it dyno set up. I want to again thank everyone for their input on my post for help because I sure needed it with this being my first cam kit install on my own. I did learned about a shop not to far away from my location that has a dyno and told he’s good.
Good deal
HD is a good place. Heath has done mine twice and 2 riding buddies bikes. They are usually busy so plan accordingly

rcmty (02-01-2023)