Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Beartooth Highway Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 AM
JRAZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beartooth Highway Questions

We are planning to stay in Cody and ride the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway. Which way is the best to go to Red Lodge and then return to our base in Cody? Clockwise or counter clockwise? Also are there other rides in the Cody area that you can recommend? Yellowstone? Look forward to ideas.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:38 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beartooth Highway Questions

I have yet to ride Beartooth. It was closed because of a land slide. I have heard that it was reopened last year and the best way to ride the Beartooth is from the north and head south and enter Yellowstone.
Hopefully this year I'll enjoy it.

chappy

Old 05-06-2006, 02:56 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

We went clockwise. Chief Joseph, then Beartooth, and on up to Red Lodge. Hit Red Lodge just about lunch time, and found a little burger stand with outdoor tables. From there we cut across on 308 and picked up 72 south. 72 turns in to 120 at the border, and takes you back to Cody.

The ride took us all day, but we did a lot of goofing off.

We spent a week in Cody. Every day we took a differant direction out of town.

East is up through Deaver and Lovell. Then take 14A across lake and end up at I-90 in Ranchester. Then south on I-90 to Buffalo. Pick up 16, through Ten Sleep and Worland. Then back up to Graybull, and back to Cody.

South is out to Graybull, south to Thermopolis (the hot springs are there), south through Big Horn Canyon to Shoshoni. Than back up to thermopolis, to Meeteetse, and back to Cody.

West is into the park and then wander the park. It will take three days to see most of the park by road. That will at least hit the high points.

West Yellowstone is nice, but nothing to get excited about. Try and get down to Jackson Hole, and grab a beer in the million dollar bar. Also stop in at the Elk refuge visitor center.

Be sure and visit the museum in Cody. The largest firearm collection in the world. Very interesting. And there's some artsy stuff, too.

Next time we go out that way, we'll stay in West Yellowstone, and take trips in differant directions from there.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know that there is a right way to make the loop. I have always gone from Red Lodge to Cody, just because we were in Red Lodge when we started. One time we did go out of Yellowstone and into Red Lodge over Beartooth.

See the Museum in Cody. Ride to Sheridan from Cody through the Big Horn Mountains. See the Custer battlefield in Montana just North of Sheridan. Yellowstone is great if you have never been there, and Jackson Hole and the grand Tetons are awesome.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

I'm looking forward to the ride there again.
I've made 2 attempts to ride Yellowstone and had my plans changed that redirected my planned route.
First time there was a big fire.
Second time was the landslide.

Hopeing this will be the year.

chappy

Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
JRAZ
Cruiser

Many thanks for all of the above ideas. Looks like my buddy and I are going to have a great time riding in the Cody area this summer. Anyother ideas of places to see and stop?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Skip
Road Captain

Hi - One of my sons and I are going to the Beartooth Rally (7/14-7/16), should be fun. Was in Cody last year and people are right, the Buffalo Bill Museum is well worth the time and effort.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Haven't been to Cody in 12 years, but the Proud Cut used to be a great restaurant there, and Bogart's Pizza in Red Lodge was excellent. Cooke City, Montana is a great little mountain town with a great restaurant that I can't remember the name of.
However, I never enjoyed Yellowstone on a motorcycle or in a car. Too much traffic, too many sightseers who stop to look at a buffalo and cause mile long traffic jams.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:50 AM
KenFichtner
Advanced

I live in Laurel, MT and am very familiar with the area.

My persoal favorite way to ride is: Ride to Red Lodge, up the Beartooth pass to Cooke City for lunch. Then tour the park, then back out via the Chief Joseph highway to Cody. If you aren't into a long day of riding, then ride from Red Lodge to Cooke City via the Beartooth pass, then back down via the Chief Joseph highway to Cody.

No matter how you ride or where you look it is beautiful!

Ken Fichtner

Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
cadillac
Road Master

I know this is an old posting, but one I wanted to revive. Some of the comments here (ALL positive) are changing our driving/vac plans some. Bobcowan... thank you for all those detailed Cody trips. Are ALL those day trips?? Bill... your POI's have been dead on in the past for me, Im sure this will be just as good. And to think all I did was search on Ten Sleep. LOL

bob

Quick Reply: Beartooth Highway Questions