Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

58 Duo Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 08:09 AM
RumRedRun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58 Duo Glide

Hello I'm new to the group! I've recently purchased a Complete Basket Case!! It is a 1958 Duo Glide frame and matching swing arm. There was no motor nor trans or any wiring! None of the three which at the time I'm worried about! I've had a Few motorcycle in the past and currently ride a 7 second drag bike! I know balance is number one with a motorcycle. I've never built one from ground up although I do own a custom auto shop and have for several years. I'm rather skilled in fabrication and welding!!! That said I've researched building a custom frame for some time now and don't see anywhere talk of making sure a frame is equally balanced. Before adding Anything to the plane bare frame! I'm not building a frame just restoring this 58 to as Original look as possible! I would like to clean up some of the wrought casting and modeling of the frame! Not going to "cut" any part of frame! Would like to add thin gauge metal in a few spots!! Not change the look just give a cleaner look before powder coating the frame. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 05-11-2019, 02:08 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

If your intention is to build the bike as original as posssible the you need to leave the welds alon unless they are cracked. There is no molding on the frames, just casting numbers, some rough looking welds that is then painted black. Frames then were not powdercoated.

When you strip the frame down to bare metal there will be casting numbers in several areas.

The following users liked this post:
RumRedRun (05-12-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 PM
RumRedRun
2nd Gear
Default 58 Duo Glide

I have found a list of casting numbers! Yes I understand that powder coating wasn't around at the time! I'm powder coating it because of the durability that it offers and done correctly 98% of people can't tell the difference on only the frame! At the time the bike was made the headstocks where basically individually made as each bike was built. I've seen some Rather cured looking headstock photos that people left alone!

photo of a 62 for example.. I found and purchased the bike mine looked nothing of the sort!!!! As I started taking the paint of found auto body Bondi filler! In some spots almost 1" thick!!!

the last picture where the original part of frame is offset! That general area is the only place I was thinking of adding metal to make it appear more centered! I have yet to get All body fill off!! As for factory welding I wasn't gonna mess with taking a chance of hurting the integrity and strength of the frame. Unless as you said is cracked or Has to be fixed!! I work on this maybe 3 times a month for few hours.. I don't ever plan on selling it!!!! Just something I thought I would never have the chance to get a Harley Davidson from September 7 1958 according to my research of the casting numbers of 7 I 58.

Last edited by RumRedRun; 05-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:23 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

again if your going to do a correct restoration to the 58, a correct frame is available - and bondo up and sell that one as its close to junk and its not straight as I see in the pictures

Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRedRun;18249503[img
the original part of frame is offset! That general area is the only place I was thinking of adding metal to make it appear more centered! .
Hey as long as it "looks" more centered, its only the neck lol

Campy Roadie (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:32 AM
RumRedRun
2nd Gear

The First picture isn't my frame! It's a photo from a friend in a different forum of how frames came from the factory at that time! The bondo is gone from mine bondo is a cheap easy cop out for someone with no metal fabrication skills! My 58 will Never be a 25 r 30k 58 Duo Glide! Powder coat will not stick to BS bondo as for my frame it is straight as an arrow! The original owner killed the engine parked it started parting it out then passed away. His nephew got it which stuck the frame and several boxes of parts in the back of his garage where I saw it sit for 25 years. I finally in January of this year talked him into letting it go Only because I Will do something with it that would make his uncle Stueky happy to see!! Thanks for advanced and opinions!!

Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 AM
RumRedRun
2nd Gear

Using this blue print from the HD company yes my frame is straight! Frams where built in small numbers with little to no jig depending on the person building that frame that day!

Old 05-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Hey as long as it "looks" more centered, its only the neck lol
I never cease to be amazed by some people asking for information here. They ask, get a response(s) from people very knowledgeable on the subject matter; then totally disregard, or worse, argue the answers because it wasn't what they decided was right before they asked,

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-12-2019 at 05:03 AM.
hellonewman (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRedRun
Using this blue print from the HD company yes my frame is straight! Frams where built in small numbers with little to no jig depending on the person building that frame that day!
Little to no jig? I would love to hear from others in the know but that sounds unlikely to me considering how tight a lot of things fit together not to mention the engine and gearbox mounting points. A jig would provide accuracy as well as speed up production and 55 years in business by that time Im sure they had things in order and certain processes in place.

Campy Roadie (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:52 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

RumRed Run, you might consider using Wasco Frame Services. Not cheap but the best I have found. Guess depends a lot on the condition of your frame as to whether it is worth repairing....or not. no matter what though, I wouldn't even consider running a repaired, bondoed up frame without first putting it in a jig, to make sure it is correct.

Quick Reply: 58 Duo Glide