Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Deep Scratch in Fender

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Deep Scratch in Fender

I have read a few of the responses regarding scratch paint fix ups, it seems to me there are lots of opinions! I would value any if you could help me out. I have a deep scratch in my rear fender (2012 Softail Convertible CVO) that I'm planning on trying to fix before I spend over a thousand dollars on a new rear fender. I have purchased the the correct touch up paint (Crimson Red Sunglo) from Harley and plan to fill the scratch in with 2 to 3 coats of touch up to build up the scratch. Using a 3000 wet sand process after it is completely dry, then the Quixx system http://www.quixx-usa.com/ to finish it. Do you think this will work? The directions state not to use on a nano or ceramic clear coat, not sure what this has, yet I think it will look a lot better that looking at this 1 and 1/2 inch scratch! Any help or input will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
Archangel Deluxe (05-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Rarely does any home touch-up look good.
They do not blend into the actual paint.
Maybe if a clear and detailed picture was posted of the area then someone on the forum could provide a suggestion.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 AM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My painter tried to fix some small scratches in my tank but no good. He told me the only way to fix scratches and such is to repaint the entire part. Part of the problem is blending clear coat. Can't be done. I had a deep scratch in one of my bags and I worked that thing over for months...trying different techniques. None worked. If it can be done, neither I nor my painter knows of it. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator5456
My painter tried to fix some small scratches in my tank but no good. He told me the only way to fix scratches and such is to repaint the entire part. Part of the problem is blending clear coat. Can't be done. I had a deep scratch in one of my bags and I worked that thing over for months...trying different techniques. None worked. If it can be done, neither I nor my painter knows of it. Good luck.
Thanks, I figured as much! I'm working on it and I gotta say it does look a helluva lot better than it did. Maybe after ridin season I'll think about having the fender painted completely