Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch adjustment question after cable change

Old 02-04-2016, 02:45 PM
JoesFLHX
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch adjustment question after cable change

02/16/2016

OK, so now I have adjusted and re-adjusted the clutch almost 10 times, I have used every method found both here on the forum and the SHOP MANUAL and I'm at a loss, to the point of towing it to a local shop.

So far I have changed the cables as it appeared that the original cable I purchased was not long enough, I also replaced the throw out bearing to a Baker HD, which also changes ball and ramp system.

I had the dealership press in a new clutch hub bearing, and installed the baker comp, and adjuster.

Problem I am having is when I start the bike on my lift I can shift into 1st gear with no clunk, however when I pull on clutch lever the bike is still in gear. I am not sure what else to do short of pulling the clutch hub and taking it apart, however the clutch worked great prior to these changes/upgrades. It appears that I am not the only person that has seen this issue before, was hoping someone could shine some light on the issue.

Original Post:
So I have searched and scoured the forum looking for an answer to this and have yet to find a thread with the same issue.

I recently installed new cables, baker compensator and adjuster on my 07 FLHX.

While adjusting per the manual, I found that the adjuster does not go in very far before making contact with the rod. I had some one else look at it and he agreed that the adjuster screw was further out than he has seen but everything else looked ok, so we installed the exhaust and buttoned everything up. It starts up fine and shifts gears ok, however when I pull on the clutch it does not seem to disengage.

I am wondering is it possible that one (or more of the ***** slipped during reinstall and is not allowing the adjuster and oil sling to seat properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JoesFLHX; 02-16-2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: updated problems
Old 02-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Big Money
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem, I did another clutch adjustment and it has worked fine ever since.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Try bottoming out the adjuster, don't just screw it in until it touches, screw it in until it fully bottoms out.This will make sure the ball and ramps are in their starting position. If this doesn't do the trick then yes a ball may be dislodged.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:00 PM
JoesFLHX
Advanced

Mark thanks for the reply, pulled the transmission cover off to find that the clutch cable was not allowing the ball and ramp to return to the starting position. Looks like I ordered the wrong length cable as there was not enough cable inside the cover. I have now ordered a +10 cable and since I had to reopen the cover a Baker throwout bearing kit.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM
JoesFLHX
Advanced

Still having issues, updated my original post. Can anyone help before I tow it to a shop.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Are the ramps fully seated now in their starting position? Then you did the normal clutch adjustment followed by the cable?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 PM
JoesFLHX
Advanced

Yes I believe that they are. I have had the same issue with the stock ball and ramps as the HD one's I just installed. The clutch adjuster screw seems to be quite a bit out however while holding the lever against the bar and rotating the adjuster screw I can feel the lever pull away from the bar. I have screwed the adjuster in as far as I could, but stopped as I didn't want to torque too much on the throwout bearings.