Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

SYN 3 In The Trans.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:24 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default SYN 3 In The Trans.

Here's a test that you syn 3 guys can do to tell you something about syn 3 in the trans. and how well it works for you.

When you drain the trans oil (syn 3) look at the magnet on the plug and see how much ferrous metal is on there in the form of fuzz. If you want proof once and for all how well syn 3 lubes the trans, switch to Mobil 1 75/90 or redline shockproof heavy this oil change and next oil change notice how much fuzz is there then when you dump this out next time. Granted there will be some left in the case from the last oil change using the syn 3 but there will be almost nothing. NEXT oil change after you have run the better oil in the trans for a few thousand miles, drain it again and see if you find anything on the plug at all. I've done this and one thing I know for sure is that less fuzz = less wear. It's GEAR MATERIAL guys WEAR on the gears! Would you be concerned at all to see this much fuzz in the engine? Why is it OK in the trans?

There's been a number of transmission bearings going bad all using syn 3 oil and shifter forks blued because of poor lubrication with syn 3 . Your bike your choice here.

The 06 bikes no longer advise use of Syn 3 in the trans from HD, wonder why?

They recommend the formula + for the primary and the transmission now, but IMO, it has to fall short in one area, I feel the transmission because of the severe service encountered with the gears just as the Syn 3 did when used in the transmission.

The dealers are pushing syn 3 because they sell it and make money doing it. Your warrantee will be over in most cases when the trans takes a dump.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
fullmonty8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oils

I know this is a very OLD thread. but what is recomended for the trans and primary these days with all the new oils out there. I have an 04 classic bagger with a 5 speed. I have heard Lucas, but what viscosidy on trans and primary.