Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Jerky Clutch Lever Release

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Slobern
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky Clutch Lever Release

Bike is an '04 Softail with very low mileage. Just installed a new set of Burly ape hangers c/w the their full cable and wiring harness extension kit. The install went great with one exception. Now when I pull in the clutch lever I get sort of a chattery cable feel ... and when I go to release the clutch lever it is quite jerky ... not smooth at all as before the installation project.

I followed my HD service manual steps with regards to the cable removal and installation. Even took pictures of inside the transmission cover as I disassembled the ball ramp system to ensure this step went exactly as seen and documented in the book.

Cable routing was also photographed before removal ... and reinstalled via the same path, with no sharp bends at all. Also followed the clutch adjustment procedure step by step in the manual including resetting of the clutch mechanism adjusting screw and ball ramp seating process.

With the cable slack and removed from the clutch lever, the cable seems to move up and down freely inside the sheath ... at least for the approximate 1" play available with the bottom end still mounted in the transmission. At first I tried riding the bike with no lube in the cable ... but the release is very jerky, making for a very lurchy launch. Have since lubed the cable thoroughly, but this jerky release problem persists.

Other than this jerky/chattery release, the bike shifts fine. At this point, I'm stumped ... anybody have any suggestion? Is it possible that somehow I haven't seated the transmission ramp *****? Is there a trick to this, other than what's described in the HD shop manual? Thanks in advance for any advice with this.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced

how much "bow" is in your cable? is it a new cable all together or just an extension? if thats the case when you went to your apes you may have lost some critical bow that Absorbs some of the clutch release shock. if you get my drift

Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Slobern
Stage IV

Thanks CafeSporty. The clutch cable was a completely new unit, not an extension. From the lever, all the way down to the transmission, the bow is very gradual and follows the original route, verified by my pre-disassembly photo's. Also, when I remove the cable from the clutch lever bracket, and leave the cable in the same approximate arch, with the adjuster slackened off, the cable slides freely back and forth that 1" distance I mentioned before.

It could be the cable, but everything I check seems to point back to the ball ramp system inside the transmission housing. It has to be either the cable, or that ball ramp system, since that is all I've worked on.

I talked to the guys at Burly, and they said if I'm really stuck they will send me another cable. Their cables normally don't need lubricant, but I had this jerky problem even without lubricating. Any other ideas/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Slobern
Stage IV
Smile

Finally found several earlier posts regarding this very same problem which all relates back to the quality of the Burly clutch cables. Many on the forum simply gave up and purchased other "better quality" cables to solve the problem.

However, there were a few guys who persisted buy building and ziplock bag type funnel and feeding transmission oil down the cable. So, I followed their advice. Managed to get about 20 - 30 mls of transmission oil down the cable over about a 2 hour period.

Cable is now butter smooth with no nasty binding noise. The good news is, the ball ramp was thankfully not the problem.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:30 PM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced

Im glad you were able to come up with a remedy to your problem! must just be a bad match up between the cable and cable housing. anyways awesome!