Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado from Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:48 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Colorado from Sturgis

seeing 1.2m people are coming to Sturgis we are thinking taking a side trip down to Colorado for 3 days!! I been to Co as a kid but not too Familiar with where what how... going come down 25 to fort Collins or Bolder area then going back up though Waldon and into the Snowies. I need help what the best roads to take? like stay in the northern area thinking a estes pk,boulder,Grand lake also looking to camp both nights. I did find pouder Canyon rd that has few campgrounds along it so that might work for the first night then get down to estes pk area??

Old 07-11-2015, 07:39 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

You are right to speed straight down to Fort Collins. Not much between that and Sturgis. I would (and have) take 25 to 34 and head into Estes and on to Grand Lake. From there I would work down to Leadville (9?) and run 24 down to 82. Hang a right and do Independence Pass. Ride over that and lay over in Aspen maybe. You can usually get reasonable rates in the summer. We stayed at a condo at the base of the mountain for like $100/night.

I would PM SanJuanRon or Whiskers and hit them up for a loop.

Problem with doing the above is the Black Hills will seem like black mounds after doing a pass or two.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,432 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Hope you can ride in heavy traffic after you get to CO.
It's more than a tad stressful if you've been residing in Sturgis?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:51 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Fort Collins, Estes Park and that area will be crowded- height of tourist season.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.html

Old 07-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Fort Collins, Estes Park and that area will be crowded- height of tourist season.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.html
You know the secret roads for us to ride when I come up right?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:49 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I know a "secret" road! Probably a reason why its a secret but i like the area and lived there for 3 years recently.

Last year i lived in Meeker. Colorado 13 between Rifle and Craig w/ Meeker right in the middle. About 75 miles from Rifle (interstate 70) to Craig (US 40)
Not one stop sign.
Not one traffic light.
Not one gas station until Meeker!
It is a two lane road w/ passing lanes and some construction near Craig.

From Craig you can go west to Dinosaur and Vernal rhen check out the Royal Gorge (summer tourist will be there im sure) or go down to Rangely and then back around to Meeker.

Meeker has a few hotels but they fill up early in the Summer.

The area needs to tourist as the govt. is trying to shut down the coal industry.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:24 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

If you just want 3 days (and 2 nights) away from Sturgis and want to ride RMNP I'd say forget about Boulder and just shoot for Estes Park the first night. You may have to do some online searching for campgrounds. It'll be crowded and that Trail Ridge Road is slow going, but very scenic. Then maybe camp around Steamboat/Walden the second night and in the morning ride back up through the Snowy Range in Wyo. heading back to the Black Hills. If you decide to camp around Walden, remember it's around 7,000+ feet and will probably be brisk at night. Good stuff and a nice side trip I bet you'll enjoy.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:07 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
Last year i lived in Meeker. Colorado 13 between Rifle and Craig w/ Meeker right in the middle. About 75 miles from Rifle (interstate 70) to Craig (US 40)
From Craig you can go west to Dinosaur and Vernal rhen check out the Royal Gorge (summer tourist will be there im sure) or go down to Rangely and then back around to Meeker.
I used to take 13 to 64 and over, and once up 13, when I lived in Vail and wanted to ski in Jackson. You're right - pretty wide open. I remember me and my cousin clipping through at 120 MPH sustained for miles drinking Coors and blasting Stevie Ray Vaughn. Good times long gone.

I would avoid Boulder only because it's not all that interesting (for riders) vs other places to go. Kids are out of school so it will be somewhat less crowded.

I would also avoid Estes/Grand Lake on the weekend.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:14 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

once again this site and the members are the best!!!

Thanks guys this gives me enough to start the planning!!boulder was after thought so we will knock that one off..

Golden, is it worth going there to check it out? something pulling me there for a beer and look around

you guys are the best!! you really make me look good trip after trip, friends think its me that comes up with all the good routes....

Nevada,
just so you know the group is well informed on how much you have helped in the past...the Tenn trip was a huge success and good time

here is all our bikes in front Telicats!!! awesome stop food was great and the sweet tea was cold...

our nightly party in the pk lot of hotels

Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

we should have no issue making Estes pk or Grand lake area first day I think this might just be the best bet for a good dy ride and end back up by Steamboat the 2nd night or walden?

Quick Reply: Colorado from Sturgis