Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Key West Trip & Eats

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Too funny, My wife and I are also going to the Keys for our 30th in November! Unfortunately due to the time of year and mainly the duration (only a week) we won't be 2 wheeling it. Flying into FLL and renting a car, either a Mustang or Camaro convertible.
I will keep an eye on this thread for ideas.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

A day of eating relaxation and walking.
Started out with early lunch. I had flat bread chicken and the wife had a la Raquel. It's a Cuban with turkey instead of ham.

Then to the beach

Don't forget to put sun screen on your feet. I missed a spot.
After a shower it was tourist time.

Had to have a few more fritters. Then some more sight seeing. Went and checked out the little White House and a couple other historical places.
Dinner at Blue Heaven. I had the bbq shrimp and the wife had the yellow tail snapper.

The cream sauce on the snapper is great. You could put it on a brick and it would make it edible.
Last stop before hitting the couch

Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Cazador

Tomorrow we are heading north. Going to hit the west side of the state. Gonna take 41 or 27 to 441. It's going to be a last minute coin toss. It's driving my wife crazy. She is a plan oriented person. Has to have a schedule and a plan.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

You might not see this post in time but Leesburg bike fest starts tomorrow!!! www.leesburgbikefest.com

Old 04-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Cazador

Thanks upsguy. I didn't know about it until I stopped for gas around Belle Glade. The guy at the counter told me about it.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Cazador

Today was a tough one. Key West to Lakeland Fl. 380 miles. Temp was about 80 when we left. It was in the middle 90's plus through the day. Humid as anything. Lucky me I think we caught every traffic light between the two cities. A long hot day on the bike. Sitting at traffic lights was like sitting on a BBQ grill.
We stopped for a poker chip at the Lakeland dealership. Then went down the street to eat at a Puerto Rican restaurant. If you are ever in Lakeland stop by La Brasa. It's on hwy 98 and Griffin rd. It's a small place in the plaza. But the food is authentic and great. It reminded me of my grandma cooking.
I had the Brasa platter and mafungo. Chicken, ham, steak and shrimp with rice and beans. The wife had arroz con pollo. Or chicken and rice. The rice has ham and onion and a few other goodies. I was worn out from the ride and didn't get pictures. But it was damn good.
The roads today reminded me of Kansas. Flat and straight. Other than the brush and some smoke from fires.
There were an exceptional amount of nuts out there today.
Talked to a guy on a new Indian at a gas station. He's on his way to Key West from San Diego. Said he traded in his HD for it. Nice looking machine. As we were talking another guy pulled in on a new SG Ultra in denim charcoal and black. The Indian didn't look so good after that..It's killing me to wait for one.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Cazador

A parting picture from the other day

We left Lakeland this morning and headed north on 27 to 441. Through Leesburg there were several hundred bikes heading to the fest. We skipped by because of time constraints. Made a stop at the Ocala dealership for a chip and to have a service tech look at my front brake. I have a caliper slightly hanging up. I can hear it rub. If I roll back a little and grab the brake it doesn't rub any more. He said it should be ok to continue on. So off we went.
South GA again. Finally seeing some taller trees that are not palm tree.

370 miles today and we stopped in Dublin GA. The wife had picked out a good eating place. Once she sat down on the couch in the a/c it was off and time for pizza delivery.
Heading north to the Great Smokey Mountains on 441 in the morning.
1900 miles done so far and 360 to go.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Cazador

The last 360 miles were great. Started out around 8:30 this morn. Temps in the 60's. It never got much over 85 through the day. Hwy 441 from Dublin GA to Gatlinburg TN is an awesome ride. On the trip down we were on the eastern side of GA on Hwy 25. The smell of sweet onions was in the air. Going home on 441 the smells of pines was a treat. Rolling hills and winding roads. Of course that's until you you get a little way into North Carolina and TN. Even with the traffic in the GSM's we were home in 7 1/2 hrs. We stopped at the local dealer and talked to a service tech. He thinks the little tension spring for the pad pin is broke. So I am going to replace them and see if that fixes my brake issue. Then I have to deal with the insurance company about the hit and run clown from our first day in Augusta GA.
All in all it as a great trip. Good foods and good miles through a lot of the country you miss on the interstates.
My wife bought me a backrest before we left. Good grief, I like that thing A LOT!!.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:36 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am glad you and your wife made it home safe. Key West is an enjoyable place to visit, we did it 4 years ago.
A good report of your ride, glad the accident didn't stop you.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:14 AM
GADAWGFAN#1
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I know what you mean about the ride from Dublin Ga to North Carolina or Tenn through the Ga Mountains. I am from near Dublin and still have a place there. Look forward to retiring in next few years and I hope to do the Ga Mountain Ride many times before I have to give up riding. Thanks for the photos and letting us join you via your diary on the trip. Greatly enjoyed it.

Quick Reply: Key West Trip & Eats