Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas Hill Country

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Texas Hill Country

Leaving in the morning from Minneapolis with a buddy. Original plan was to head to the Ozarks (I've been there many times and love it, buddy has never been) but the weather looks absolutely horrific for southern MO and all of Arkansas with lots of rain/severe storms. So......I think we are off to Hill Country. I've been out near that area, but never riding.

We plan on hitting up 3 sisters, Luckenbach and ?? I know there are lots of amazing roads and I have a detailed map, but anything we shouldn't miss? We are more ride the roads types vs window shoppers, if you know what I mean. We appreciate beautiful roads, scenery and history. Lh, and good food.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Get a sliced brisket (not chopped) sandwich at Coopers in Llano. In the screen I'm typing this I can't see when you're planning your ride, but if it's Texas Bluebonnet time check Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg.....nice ride.

The following users liked this post:
rhuff (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Get a sliced brisket (not chopped) sandwich at Coopers in Llano. In the screen I'm typing this I can't see when you're planning your ride, but if it's Texas Bluebonnet time check Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg.....nice ride.
Thanks. What's roads are the Willow Loop?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Thanks. What's roads are the Willow Loop?
That Willow City Loop is just a slow, scenic loop off of that main highway that goes north out of Fredericksburg. Since it's especially popular during Bluebonnet time you may find it too crowded. If you look it up on Google Maps you'll see it. Was just thinking if you find yourself overnighting in Bandera, that 11th Street Cowboy Bar is an interesting place....a taste of a Texas roadhouse with live music and a popular dance floor. Might want to polish up your 2-step😎

Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I will not go back without visiting Coopers in Llano. We got a taste of three or four different items. You will let your pointer finger overload your belly if you are not careful. Great food.

Bandera and the Cowboy bar as mentioned. We had a good time there.

Luckenbach was cool.

Two Fat Guys BBQ in Camp Woods was good. I think that is where it is.

Lots of good rides. Different country. I would love to see the Bluebonnets blooming. I turkey hunted out there once and saw some of them blooming.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I rode in the eastern part of the Hill Country when I was there at the beginning of April. The Hill Country shattered all my preconceived notions of what Texas looks like and what riding in Texas would be like. Great roads, beautiful green rolling hills.

At the recommendation of others on this forum, I stopped at Canyon Lake (beautiful!) and then rode River Road along the Guadalupe River. Very nice ride!

My wife and I also went looking for Texas bluebonnets and found an amazing stand (acres and acres) at Turkey Bend Recreation Area. I'm not sure how long the bluebonnets stay in bloom, but they are worth a detour if they're still blooming.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I rode in the eastern part of the Hill Country when I was there at the beginning of April. The Hill Country shattered all my preconceived notions of what Texas looks like and what riding in Texas would be like. Great roads, beautiful green rolling hills.

At the recommendation of others on this forum, I stopped at Canyon Lake (beautiful!) and then rode River Road along the Guadalupe River. Very nice ride!

My wife and I also went looking for Texas bluebonnets and found an amazing stand (acres and acres) at Turkey Bend Recreation Area. I'm not sure how long the bluebonnets stay in bloom, but they are worth a detour if they're still blooming.

Beautiful

Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

The bluebonnets are winding down. Willow City loop is off of Hwy 16 between Fredericksburg and Llano. It still will be a nice ride with the other various wildflowers. I rode the loop about 3 weeks ago and it was crowded with jackasses in cages though.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Leaving in the morning from Minneapolis with a buddy. Original plan was to head to the Ozarks (I've been there many times and love it, buddy has never been) but the weather looks absolutely horrific for southern MO and all of Arkansas with lots of rain/severe storms. So......I think we are off to Hill Country. I've been out near that area, but never riding.

We plan on hitting up 3 sisters, Luckenbach and ?? I know there are lots of amazing roads and I have a detailed map, but anything we shouldn't miss? We are more ride the roads types vs window shoppers, if you know what I mean. We appreciate beautiful roads, scenery and history. Lh, and good food.
Funny... I just moved back to the Texas hill country from Minneapolis (after 16 years in the cold). Supposed to snow this week in Minneapolis, at the end of April! Working in Austin, living slightly southwest in the hill country. All recommendations noted are great. I forgot how friendly people are in the hill country. Had work done on my house and every contractor without exception was friendly, "yes mam", "no sir" and highly competent. Awesome people in Texas. Great place to ride and great place to live. Be safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by riknbeth:
DMetcalf (05-02-2017), tphillips (04-26-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Funny... I just moved back to the Texas hill country from Minneapolis (after 16 years in the cold). Supposed to snow this week in Minneapolis, at the end of April! Working in Austin, living slightly southwest in the hill country. All recommendations noted are great. I forgot how friendly people are in the hill country. Had work done on my house and every contractor without exception was friendly, "yes mam", "no sir" and highly competent. Awesome people in Texas. Great place to ride and great place to live. Be safe.
MN summers are great and the rest is.... too cold!

any recommendations for nice places to stay in Hill Country? We made it down to fredricksburg last night. Maybe something a little bit different than just super 8's. Cool cabins, mom and pop places, etc?

Quick Reply: Texas Hill Country