Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeSporty
And it's a lot worse trying to enter the US as a Canadian. Guys....They are slowly taking our freedom away on both sides of the boarder.
Well, when you're dealing with the border of a sovereign nation that you're not a citizen of, it's not exactly a "freedom". 😆

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (08-10-2023)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Your buddy needs to read up on the Canadian racket of "rehabilitation". It's basically where the Canadian government says, "We don't want criminals in Canada. . . Unless you give us money". 😂

Here
Thanks. That does sound like a racket. That was the impression I got from alot of the Canadian lawyer sites--"You'll never get in unless you pay us to help you."

Old 06-22-2017, 11:25 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,082 Likes on 8,913 Posts

I can say with a certain amount of experience is that it has changed since the last election in the US..... on both sides, coming and going in both directions.

The answers use to be "Yes Sir"... "no Sir". But now I find they want more details in the answers. ....What is the purpose of your trip.... "visiting California " is replaced with "I am heading to California and will be in the US about 3 weeks". ....do you have prescription drugs "Yes" is replaced with "Yes. They are in the original bottles".

Coming back into Canada .... What is the Total of your purchases? "$400" is replaced with "$400, I had a flat tire in California and had to have the tire replaced".

The following users liked this post:
Scorpio09SG (08-10-2023)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I can say with a certain amount of experience is that it has changed since the last election in the US..... on both sides, coming and going in both directions.

The answers use to be "Yes Sir"... "no Sir". But now I find they want more details in the answers. ....What is the purpose of your trip.... "visiting California " is replaced with "I am heading to California and will be in the US about 3 weeks". ....do you have prescription drugs "Yes" is replaced with "Yes. They are in the original bottles".

Coming back into Canada .... What is the Total of your purchases? "$400" is replaced with "$400, I had a flat tire in California and had to have the tire replaced".
About three years ago the questioning going into Canada from NYS:

1- Do you have any weapons with you?
2- Do you own any firearms?
3- What firearms do you own?
4- Have you ever appeared before a judge and jury?

This went on for 20 minutes, first me then all the same to my wife, all while sitting on the bike. Strange experience for sure.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,082 Likes on 8,913 Posts

Crossing south it use to be "Do you have a criminal record?" That was replaced with "Have you ever been arrested?" Then .... "Have you ever been Finger printed?" The latest one is "Have you ever been hand cuffed?" Which could illicit a smart *** comment ..... don't.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:11 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
To anyone that doesn't believe me, and as a Public Service Announcement for those traveling through Virginia, here is the Virginia statute:
§ 46.2-862 Exceeding speed limit
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.
A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 18.2-11 Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor
The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:
(a.) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $ 2,500, either or both.

Yep..my daughter got tagged for doing 82 down there. 70 MPH speed limit too. Your right... Anything 80 or above.. I'm out of state so I had a lawyer plead it down to a non moving violation. Its all about $$$. I cant imagine Canad would care about your buddies past driving record as long as there are no outstanding warrants.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I haven't experienced that at all, and I'm there several times per month (I'll be spending tomorrow night in Montreal). Possibly because of the frequency that I go, or because I go for work. . . I don't know. I just declare any food that I have, any alcohol and tobacco if they ask, and they let me pass.

When I've crossed the border on the bike, I have been asked about my firearms. When they've asked how many I own, I just tell them that I don't know off-hand.

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I cant imagine Canad would care about your buddies past driving record as long as there are no outstanding warrants.
If it's a reckless driving or a DUI, they certainly do care. Did you read that link I posted above? I personally saw one of my flight attendants deported because she didn't disclose and had not "rehabilitated".

Old 06-22-2017, 03:57 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
I haven't experienced that at all, and I'm there several times per month (I'll be spending tomorrow night in Montreal). Possibly because of the frequency that I go, or because I go for work. . . I don't know. I just declare any food that I have, any alcohol and tobacco if they ask, and they let me pass.

When I've crossed the border on the bike, I have been asked about my firearms. When they've asked how many I own, I just tell them that I don't know off-hand.

If it's a reckless driving or a DUI, they certainly do care. Did you read that link I posted above? I personally saw one of my flight attendants deported because she didn't disclose and had not "rehabilitated".
Yeah I just read it and frankly, it looks like you could be father Guido Sarducci and they "may" still not allow you... I guess just have a plan B route if they refuse you entry ?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:53 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,083 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Give the border a call. They are really easy to deal with that way. I have called them a few times, both Canadian and US border securities.

As for our border guys being "holier than thou", we find the same thing going down south.

Sorry Larry

Old 06-23-2017, 03:45 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by zal
Give the border a call. They are really easy to deal with that way. I have called them a few times, both Canadian and US border securities.
As for our border guys being "holier than thou", we find the same thing going down south
Sorry Larry
Not a bad choice,call and get it directly from the border crossing you plan to use,the border is a very long line and the agents on either side in the middle of Buttsnatch,Bald *** Prairie may have a different utilization of the rules than the ones at Niagara Falls.Your best course of interaction with the border agents Canadian or American is to be up front and honest with them,for good or bad they now have easy access to the truth about you and nothing pisses them off more than blatantly lying to their face.Our border is easily the simplest one in the world to cross(well,you're right,not for those with a criminal record),but one needs to remember you are asking for permission to enter a foreign country when you pull up to that kiosk,one needs to take that responsibility seriously.

Quick Reply: Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction?