Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Big Bend

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin'Amber
Yup. The scenery is very different of course, but the road is equally fun to ride. It's like a roller coaster and has nearly zero traffic!
That's true enough....always liked the almost zero traffic of most of that Big Bend country, too. Along the River Road also recall a couple little settlements like Redford with interesting people and stories. Sure miss my yearly rides to that area.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibeman
We rode from Austin down to Big Bend last February, beautiful weather and spectacular scenery, especially the river road between Presidio and Lajitas. We went into the Park on 118 and took a road down to the Rio Grand, that was very beautiful too, but one way in and the same way out. My base was in Alpine, much cheaper lodging than in Terlingua. Did one day loop from Alpine to Marfa to Presidio, through Terlingua to Big Bend Park then back to Alpine via 118 and 90. A long day but very enjoyable throughout. I am not a Texan so all the scenery was new and interesting to me, even the relatively "plain" areas. Gas stations can be scarce so don't miss an opportunity to refuel. That being said, I had no problems finding fuel, I just watched the map and fueled up accordingly. Harley GPS worked well the entire trip, not so my cell phone. Cell signals were spotty.

All of this is good stuff, and what I would suggest as well. I AM a Texan, and he hit most of the high spots. Ride all over the Park -- there are some good side roads throughout, and you can get further information at the visitor's center in the center of the Park. Additionally, you can hit Ft. Davis Mountains and the Observatory there, check out Marathon for another quaint little town, Marfa lights in the evening (if conditions are clear and not overcast) and ride 170 both ways if you have time -- checking out Lajitas if you want a quick stop at the out-of-the-way "resort" just west of Terlingua. Also note that the weather is subject to changing on short notice...and as mentioned, gas up when available. Civilization has not encroached on all parts to the extent that there is a station every few miles. But that is a good thing. Enjoy!!

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

We too are coming down to big bend. Staying in Terlingua after a week in Fredericksburg from the 6th thru the 13th for October festival

Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
I'm taking a week down to the Bend area. I'm thinking of using Terlinqua as a base. Any thoughts on this.
Also what is not to be missed? I'm aware on the river road which looks to be west of the park. I've search this site, but there is little info on this area.
Thanks in advance guys!
When are you going? I am leaving Cypress, TX 10/22/17 for that area. Stopping for the night in Uvalde and using Alpine for base camp.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Ilovebeer
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Following this thread closely, my brother and I are heading out that way next week!

Question, how dangerous is it riding in that area after dark? We have a pretty full itinerary, so if we get caught up, we might be arriving a few places after sunset?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:05 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I'll be leaving the house on November 13th. Heading to Fort Davis. Be there Monday evening.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Vibeman
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

As to driving after dark you may be referring to animals in the road, but another factor is visibility late in the day. In February I drove into Alpine from the east on 90 as the sun was setting and the lower the sun got, the more difficult it was to see anything! Not because it was dark, but because the sun was blasting me right in the eyes. I had a tinted face shield and tinted glasses but I slowed down to 40 mph because it did not seem wise to go any faster. It was almost impossible to see oncoming traffic or other vehicles in my lane until they were right in front of me.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:11 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Rode the park last year. Stayed in Alpine, more lodging options and restaurants. Ride the Ft. Davis loop and stop in at the McDonald Observatory. We rode Alpine to Marfa to Presidio to Lajitas to Terlingua to Study Butte and back to Alpine. Ride down to St Helena and up to Chiso’s Basin.
Only drawback is $20 per day for Park entry and the speed limit in the Park is 45mph. It is enforced.
Stop off for a bowl of competition chili.
At the McDonald Observatory.
They make a really good porter.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:31 AM
texasbub
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilovebeer
Following this thread closely, my brother and I are heading out that way next week!

Question, how dangerous is it riding in that area after dark? We have a pretty full itinerary, so if we get caught up, we might be arriving a few places after sunset?
A lot of deer, javelina and wild turkeys out there. If you are out after dark be alert.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Take the ride then short hike to Elena Canyon. I did Big Bend earlier this year and my big picture thoughts were it's nice once you're there but not worth the trip; been there, done that, no t-shirt and definitely not going back.

Pictures of Big Bend are towards the bottom of the linked page.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...r-hands-5.html

Quick Reply: Big Bend