Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tour Pak Rack protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I use the Harley Tour Pak rack bag too (love it), but you have to be careful with the straps. If you let them blow in the wind and hit your Tour Pak... they will eventually scuff your paint. So, I always be sure to tie them up and keep them off the paint.

The following users liked this post:
cwsharp (04-11-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 AM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts
Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I have also been using the Harley Premium Collapsible Luggage Rack Bag with no issues. I store my tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and other camping gear in it without opening up the additional expansion zipper. It also folders flat and could be stored in the tour pak without taking much room just incase you need additional storage.

The past couple of years I backup it's velcro mounting straps with a bungee strap cargo net. With the net I can strap my leather jacket and chaps on top of the bag as well with no risk of rubbing.

Last edited by Sparkee...; 04-12-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Bubba's Bagger (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I don't want to ruin my paint on my tour pak... but for my next trip I have a lot of camping going on so I need to put stuff on my pak rack. One idea I have is to get a clear plastic desk protector and cut it to fit the tour pak then tie it to the rack with zip ties.

Better would be a bag made to fit the size of the rack that is stiff enough not to flop down between the rungs and mar the paint and that has tabs and snaps to tie it to the rack... with a plus if it is waterproof. Does anyone know of such a bag?
Saddle man sells a bag that opens like a clam shell and has bungee cords on top for your jacket and chaps. It attaches to the rack with straps and Velcro strips. Thousands of miles with it and no marring. Rain cover built in. About $100.

cwsharp (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I have also been using the Harley Premium Collapsible Luggage Rack Bag with no issues. I store my tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and other camping gear in it without opening up the additional expansion zipper. It also folders flat and could be stored in the tour pak without taking much room just incase you need additional storage.

The past couple of years I backup it's velcro mounting straps with a bungee strap cargo net. With the net I can strap my leather jacket and chaps on top of the bag as well with no risk of rubbing.
That sounds pretty much like what I am thinking... thanks.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:36 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
If you notice i have a net holding my bag on the rack....i guess you need the right tools for the job....i have lots of bungee cords unfortunately they sucked, hence the net.....the net will keep stuff off the paint if you use it correctly even without a bag.....
Also because we travel through many states and we like to ride without helmets, having the net affords us the added use to place our helmets on top of the bag secured by the net....
Best thing i have when traveling, yes the net ....
The net was my method. Also, rainproof the luggage prior to attaching the net.

giacomo56 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:57 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I use the Harley Tour Pak rack bag too (love it), but you have to be careful with the straps. If you let them blow in the wind and hit your Tour Pak... they will eventually scuff your paint. So, I always be sure to tie them up and keep them off the paint.
Maybe something like this?

Last edited by mtgriz; 04-14-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:15 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Maybe something like this?

Nice, but too much hassle...the HD collapsable bag comes with small corner velcro attachments easy on and off....the net I use is for the states where a Helmet is not required and i place them on top of the bag, between the bag and the net.....

Old 04-14-2018, 11:33 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Nice, but too much hassle...the HD collapsable bag comes with small corner velcro attachments easy on and off....the net I use is for the states where a Helmet is not required and i place them on top of the bag, between the bag and the net.....
I’ll have to check out the collapsable bag. Always on the lookout for something easier.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:11 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 152 Posts

I have bags that fit on my tour pak rack.
The straps can mar the paint if they start flapping around.
See if you can find a local tint shop that installs the 3M protective film and have them put a piece under the rack.
I think I paid $30 to the tops of my bags so the tour pak shouldn't cost much.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Rack protection