Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tour Pak Rack protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:08 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Tour Pak Rack protection

I don't want to ruin my paint on my tour pak... but for my next trip I have a lot of camping going on so I need to put stuff on my pak rack. One idea I have is to get a clear plastic desk protector and cut it to fit the tour pak then tie it to the rack with zip ties.

Better would be a bag made to fit the size of the rack that is stiff enough not to flop down between the rungs and mar the paint and that has tabs and snaps to tie it to the rack... with a plus if it is waterproof. Does anyone know of such a bag?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

I have a Harley Touring Pack Rack Bag, not sure of the part #, but I'm sure many different companies product such a bag. A search I'm sure would provide you with examples of the different bags out there. The bag I have uses velcro to attach the bag to the rack and has a built in rain fly. Its large enough to carry two helmets and two coats with room to spare.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lude-a-tick:
cwsharp (04-09-2018), giacomo56 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:50 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Placing a flat, hard piece of wood or plastic the same size as the bottom of your bag will serve the purpose.

Another method that I've used for years is to bungee cords, interwoven through the rungs (cross-wise) of the luggage rack to help support the bottom of the bag.

The following users liked this post:
cwsharp (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:05 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Having has a tour pak with the luggage rack, i have NEVER seen anything touch my paint on the tour pak....i also use the HD luggage bag that comes with the velcro and rain fly.

Seriously i would not worry about it....

Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I don't want to ruin my paint on my tour pak... but for my next trip I have a lot of camping going on so I need to put stuff on my pak rack.
5 days in, riding in or standing in the rain unpacking a tent and you won't care.

I've bungeed stuff to the rack....it made getting into the trunk a pain when stopped. Not that I wouldn't do it again, but....that was long trip and had no choice.

If not 2-up, better idea (to me) is to bungee it to the pillion to create a nice backrest setup.

Peter Griffin (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:48 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Having has a tour pak with the luggage rack, i have NEVER seen anything touch my paint on the tour pak....i also use the HD luggage bag that comes with the velcro and rain fly.

Seriously i would not worry about it....

That's because you have a bag.?I don't have a bag so a jacket rubbed the paint for quite a few miles... even though it was originally packed all above the bottom of the rack.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:15 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

If you notice i have a net holding my bag on the rack....i guess you need the right tools for the job....i have lots of bungee cords unfortunately they sucked, hence the net.....the net will keep stuff off the paint if you use it correctly even without a bag.....
Also because we travel through many states and we like to ride without helmets, having the net affords us the added use to place our helmets on top of the bag secured by the net....
Best thing i have when traveling, yes the net ....

Old 04-10-2018, 08:08 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tour Pak Bags

You need to look at www.roadreadybags.com

I have their curved touring bag that is waterproof and makes a great back rest for a long trip. They also have bags for your tour pak luggage rack.

Last edited by dyna rider; 04-10-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

There may a time when you find that you'll need a trailer, especially of camping is in your plans.
My wife fought me for a long time (when we rode two-up) about buying an pulling a trailer but when taking long trips two sets or clothes, wo sets of leathers, two sets of rain gear, plus other "necessities" I was clamping on "rails" to my sissy bar at in order to have something to bungee cord our stuff against.

After we had the first trailer I had making a deal with my cousin for my old bike and trailer, the first words off of my wife's lips were "you're getting another trailer, right"?

I got another trailer but shortly thereafter my wife started riding her own bike so the trailer hasn't been used in a long time, but it's always there if I ever decide that I need it.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
There may a time when you find that you'll need a trailer, especially of camping is in your plans.
if solo, not too hard to haul camping gear....tho can be a pain on long trips plus breaking down every AM etc.

eventually the budget hotel looks better and better....

cwsharp (04-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Rack protection