Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BRP in August

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:31 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts
Default BRP in August

I have an opportunity for a Blue Ridge Pwy run in mid August starting out of NJ.
I've done it in May and June but how is it in August?
Weather, traffic or any other stuff that could make it less desirable than earlier in the year..

Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Depends on what section. I usually am on the west side by Cherokee. I have been going (10 years) at various times, august or september seem the best weather wise. I am going at the same time this year. Hot and humid when you are in lower areas like Asheville, and cool in the am at altitude like Mnt. Mitchell. You will more than likely hit rain but August is a drier than most months when I have been down there.

Traffic is an issue in some spots. During the week it's dead but you also have the oddball gawker. Weekends can get congested in spots. Being from the north and driving in large city traffic daily I don't see it as an issue but you gotta watch the tourists and allot time for it.

There are so many other great roads all over the western section close to the parkway you can't go wrong.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
Depends on what section. I usually am on the west side by Cherokee. I have been going (10 years) at various times, august or september seem the best weather wise. I am going at the same time this year. Hot and humid when you are in lower areas like Asheville, and cool in the am at altitude like Mnt. Mitchell. You will more than likely hit rain but August is a drier than most months when I have been down there.

Traffic is an issue in some spots. During the week it's dead but you also have the oddball gawker. Weekends can get congested in spots. Being from the north and driving in large city traffic daily I don't see it as an issue but you gotta watch the tourists and allot time for it.

There are so many other great roads all over the western section close to the parkway you can't go wrong.
Thanks for the feedback todd. Me and a buddy who just retired would be doing this so we'd be down there on weekdays so time FINALLY wont be an issue.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:08 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I always go when the kids are back in school, and vacation time is over for most.. I like May or September after labor day. Traffic is less and you can move along at a good speed.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (06-28-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

I would think closer to when the colors changes would be best.

But honesty my friend, I never, never, never understood what I can't take that road more than maybe 10 - 15 miles or so. I don't get it.

Another guy I met said the same thing. YES it is BEAUTIFUL for sure and I love nature. But only that road bugs me. Maybe becasue it is "same same" for a VERY long distance.

I am trying it again but this time around MM 310 where the Linville Via Duct is. So I am giving it another try.

Have a GREAT ride my friend. OH, if u can't make it around when the trees change colors which would be AWESOME then the cooler months the better of the times u have available.

Come back and let us know what time u decided and why aye?

BuzzCap7

stixvrad (06-28-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

We just got back from riding BRP.

They are tar and chipping from Ashville to Cherokee. Traffic back ups and no fun to ride thru on a bike.

Check their website for updates.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:37 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by torchmaster
We just got back from riding BRP.

They are tar and chipping from Ashville to Cherokee. Traffic back ups and no fun to ride thru on a bike.

Check their website for updates.
Ok thanks. I will..

Old 06-28-2018, 01:02 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

check on conditions, at the BRP, before heading out...check again, just before you leave,
https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm
If you are on the BRP.... expect it to rain...regardless of the time of year. Sadly... you may be on the leeside, enjoying warm sunshine, and a turn of the road, puts you on the windward side, and a rain storm.
Higher elevations may be cooler than the valley below, and then again, you could be facing record heat..

As noted.... there are plenty of miles, that offer vistas of the same valley.... and you don't need to stop at each one.... a little pre-ride planning can do wonders.
Depending on YOUR interests.... there are many attractions along the way. Stop at places YOU would normally ride past.... open your horizons a little.

If you get bored.... the D-Day memorial in Bedford VA, is a good place for a side trip... as are hundreds of other places... and there are hundreds of great roads, assuming you LIKE curvy-assed roads

stixvrad (06-28-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 04:24 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I think it is much better just after the leaves have fallen. Weather is cooler, air seems clearer, less afternoon Tstorms, less traffic,etc. I also think that there are much better rides (at least in VA) than the BRP. A little of SLD/BRP goes a long way for me. Of course, I have an Afton, VA address. Lots of better places to leaf peep, too.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:53 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Rode the BRP two weeks ago from mile 180 to around 350. They had started repaving at that point. It was tar with the blue or gray stones, not asphalt for the next 20 miles. We chose to get off and follow the GPS to get to our motel at Maggie Valley. Saw 5 deer on the BRP this time, with one running parallel to the road with me as I was blowing my horn. One day we put our rain gear on four times but in 1500 miles only rode in the rain for about 20 miles. I've ridden it 4-5 times and the next time like BuzzCap7 I will get on around MM 300. The last day we rode in the fog or clouds for over an hour. Went to Clingsmans Dome and couldn't see anything but clouds.

stixvrad (07-09-2018)

Quick Reply: BRP in August