Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New England advice

Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Trisk80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New England advice

I'm planning my next big trip and looking for some advice from those who've ridden New England. There's so much of it and I can't decide where to start. My wife keeps talking about small coast towns in main and vermont bed and breakfasts. I'd love to ride the coast, but I feel like there's a lot I'd miss by staying by the coast too. Anyone have any recommendations?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Rocker NH
Road Master
Received 362 Likes on 202 Posts

Vermont /NH/ Maine have a lot to offer---Maine coast is extremely busy and traffic jams from July 1st-Labor Day[and expensive] Vermont B&Bs in the summer are plentiful-[Fall is their moneymaker]stay north of Rutland--NH offers many great rides -but as a visitor,staying in White Mountain area is your best bet[June will be Bike week in Laconia]--Maine is a vast state--stay mid state and south/Bar Harbor[Acadia National Park] [Mount Desert Island] is a must--- the coast roads of Maine are not as scenic as some may think ,but always a bucket list thing------Others will chime in I,m sure of their favorite spots in New England---should be a interesting thread

Bed and Breakfast on Maine coast

Mt Washington Hotel--rt 302 in northern NH

Common site on roads in Vermont

Old 11-13-2018, 07:49 PM
Trisk80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! got some great info. I was clueless and that gives me some direction where to start planning.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Geezr Glidr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Trisk, if you'll be riding through NY, ride route 3 from Watertown NY through Lake Placid. Route 3 is just a real nice ride. Near Lake Placid, take the gondola to the top of Whiteface Mountain. It's pretty cool. Then, you won't be far from the ferry across Lake Champlain & into VT. I'll let New Englanders give you details about MA, VT, NH, & ME.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 AM
guido4198
Senior Rider
Received 185 Likes on 98 Posts

Partner, if you're coming to New England from South Dakota my best advice is that once you get to the coast...EAT. Eat often and enjoy all the great food to be found along the New England shore. Seafood, obviously. Lobster, fish, and my personal favorite: deep fried WHOLE BELLY Clams. You're also going to find Gen-U-wine Eye-talian food. Prepared by people with lots of vowels in their name. Not egg noodles and ketchup. Get all you can...take some home, show it around...who knows, it might catch on out there on the prairie.
For Bona-Fides, I'll tell you I did 3-5 in Nebraska, (out on the plains, not in Omaha). Best people I know, but the cuisine is..well, "boring".

Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 AM
Steve Sportster
One Of The Regulars
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Take a side visit into the Berkshires (western Mass) and ride up to the top of Mt. Greylock. Did it in July 2018 as I re-visited my home town of Pittsfield. Great views, twisty roads.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

In NH

Bentley's Saloon

ME shorline
Laconia bike week in June.. stay there and do day rides..
Mt Washington and White Mountains
Take the organized ride to Bentley's Saloon in Arundel, ME
Up and down the coast in ME

Last edited by rossn2; 11-14-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Wmbailey5
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What time of the year, how much time and how long in the saddle you can tolerate each day will have an impact on where to go.

I live in Cape Cod and have ridden alll over the New England region I am happy to get on the phone if you like. Not sure how to do that with putting my phone number in the forum.

I have some some great rides from the Adirondack region of upstate NY (Lake Placid/Saranac Lake/Saratoga/ Lake George) over to VT (Green Mountain National highway) thru Stowe, Smugglers Notch, up to Jayís Peak, into NH with Kancamagus highway and white mountains to Maine coastline of Camden/Rockland to Portland thru Massachusetts (Gloucester, Salem, Ispwitch, Essex and Hamilton) on your way thru Boston to Cape Cod and then onto Newport RI.

I didnít even include a detour from Portland ME on the ferry to Nova Scotia up to the Cabot Trail. There are also rides through Quebec and the Fjords that can be included.

So many miles, memories and such little time.

I cannot speak to other parts of the country but this is an absolutely beautiful area to ride.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:41 AM
Architect
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 551 Likes on 402 Posts

Using Laconia Bike Week as a home base is a good jump off point.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 AM
road king Q
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

You will notice a lack of the known chain hotels. There are a lot of mom and pop places and some bigger hotels. Much of this closes down in the winter, I think.

Look close at a map. The through roads are not on the coast, only in spots. The coast is out on spurs. Info is easy to internet. We found some old forts, a place where they dress as first pioneers and know tons of history, a lighthouse we could climb to the top and MANY cool explore the coast line areas and neighborhoods with old houses and excellent ocean views. Whale watching. I loved the little harbor towns which as mentioned had some GREAT local fare.

Pick you some coast towns, and other areas to explore, find a hub and enjoy. Keep in mind also as mentioned, the popular spots can be VERY busy in prime time, lots of people and lines, on the road and to get in some of the places. We visited Boothbay and Rockport areas. Wanted to get 'down east' but..... Acadia nat park was one spot many said we should visit, we didn't.

We crossed into NH, White Mt area and Vermont, Rough but scenic roads.

I'd say connect with Wmbailey5 pm a # and get some local info! Beautiful area, great folks to talk to, wonderful visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: