Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

just-in-case

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Talk2Steyn
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a tire repair kit, a HD compressor, a Noco booster, Torx bits, a torch, utility knife, duct tape and jiggler hose. Problem is, it wont all fit in my swingarm bag..,

Old 12-20-2018, 08:59 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

I would love to tour in Africa.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Talk2Steyn
Advanced

We are very blessed yes. Cape Town, Nelspruit, Northwest. Swaziland, Golden Gate, Drakensburg, Knysna

Old 12-22-2018, 11:37 AM
BigDukeSix
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Always camp/motel on the "other side of any twn you are going through.
Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning on this one? So you know what's there if you need something? So if you know if you need to move on to somewhere else?

Old 12-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDukeSix
Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning on this one? So you know what's there if you need something? So if you know if you need to move on to somewhere else?
So You don't go in with the rush in the morning!
You are already on the other side of twn,
Leaving the mess behind and they are going the opposite way you are.

The following users liked this post:
BigDukeSix (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 PM
BigDukeSix
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
So You don't go in with the rush in the morning!
You are already on the other side of twn,
Leaving the mess behind and they are going the opposite way you are.
Makes sense...

Old 12-23-2018, 10:18 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,614 Likes on 5,177 Posts

I would have to think where you are would require the load plan to be tailored to the area a lot more than most of the US.. Good luck enjoy your ride. Been more than 40 years ago last time I was there.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Talk2Steyn
Advanced

Originally Posted by smitty901
I would have to think where you are would require the load plan to be tailored to the area a lot more than most of the US.. Good luck enjoy your ride. Been more than 40 years ago last time I was there.
Ja mst definately. Nice adventure though. About time to visit again

Old 12-23-2018, 03:59 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

An assortment of zip ties, duct tape and a bungee net or a couple of bungee cords. I have also found emergency uses for Velcro patches and straps. Doesn't take up much room in my tool roll.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:17 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,677 Likes on 2,313 Posts

I carry a LOT of tools, small spare parts and "stuff" for roadside repairs. I'm not a big believer in "cell phone and credit card".
This thread got me to thinking about the times I've actually had to do some side-of-the-road repair to get back on the road and the items that have proven to be useful in those instances.
My 1985 FXRS has been a great ride. I bought her new and have ridden her a bit over 285,000 mi. I thought that worth mentioning so you don't start thinking I'm riding some home-made P.O.S.
Zip-ties are always in my tool bag. They got me home when the heym joint in the shifter linkage came apart.
Small vise-grip pliers. I've used them twice when my clutch cable broke at the end in the grip. Some readjustment (did I mention I also carry enough tools to do a clutch adjustment on the side of the road..??) and I had enough of the end of the cable to grab with the vise grips, then tighten them down against the clutch handle.
On my 1985 FXR, there's an irritating little piece called the "Clutch Release Finger". I've had a couple of them fail over the years. It's a cheap part, easy roadside replacement IF you have one, and the few tools necessary to make it happen. While I'm in there, I generally swap out the "throw-out bearing", right side pushrod end, and spacers all at the same time. Yea...I carry those too. Other parts...well, swapped out a coil on a buddy's bike. Easy-peazy 'cause yup...you guessed it..I had a spare coil in the saddlebag. Swapped out a starter solenoid once too. Going over the Mississippi river bridge in the Quad-cities area late one night...the bike shut off as quick as if I'd hit the kill switch. Fortunately, I had a good flashlight. (Did I mention you should ALWAYS carry at least one good light source...?? I carry at least 2, sometimes 3). Once I coasted off the bridge and got the bike to the side of the road, I was able to find a wire that had pulled out of the ring terminal on the coil. I carry a few of those too. Crimped on a new one, and back on the road. I could have gotten by without the replacement terminal by just wrapping the wire around the stud, but without the light, I'd never have found the problem.
Ya know...as I think back over time and miles it occurs to me that most of these incidents have occurred late at night, and often in "B.F. Egypt", or some such place. Not sure what my cell phone and credit card would have gotten me....but lest you start thinking I'm some kind of Neanderthal Luddite....I carry those too, and highly recommend you do the same.
Some things are "model-specific". Think about what the weak points are on your bike when trying to compile your own list of what to take.
Ride Safe..!!!

The following users liked this post:
Talk2Steyn (01-14-2019)