Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Beartooth Pass

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Beartooth Pass

A few years back I tried to plan a trip west to Beartooth but things fizzled out. Now I have a bagger and a renewed sense of adventure, so we are riding west in 2019. Plan on riding to the Belt Mts in Mt, part of Glacier Nat Park, then riding Beartooth, then south to Rocky Mt National Park. These places all being high altitude brings me to asking how late in the season should I wait for road conditions to be clear. I know snow can come most anytime up there, but am looking for some advice from those with more experience in the area. Also, Riding from Red Lodge on Beartooth, then swinging over to Cody, will there be problems finding gas and such along the way?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:13 AM
glideman65
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will love Beartooth, just an incredible ride! I have ridden it twice, one time in June and another in August. The June ride had plenty of snow but all well plowed so no issues on passage. The August ride was met with the worst hail storm I've ever seen lol. It piled on the side of the road! What I learned and the locals know is if you're riding in August, go early in the day. August afternoon storms are common. But the one thing I want to say is do not miss riding Chief Joseph Pass, (Hwy 296) It is highly underrated! It looks like your plan to go from Red Lodge to Cody will naturally take you that way. You'll be glad you got the two passes in while you're in MT. There is no fuel or food on Chief Joseph but I don't think you'll have an issue getting from Red Lodge to Cody via the two passes. If you were concerned about fuel, you can go to Cooke City for fuel then turn around and head back to Chief Jospeh. You are in for some great riding with the trip you have planned!

The following users liked this post:
glideridemike (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

No problem with gas from redlodge to Cody, you can even swing into cook city for lunch on the way and still have plenty of fuel to make Cody. I would go to eat lunch its worth it. And if needed there's a gas station. As for the weather, I would go at the end of June just before the 4th of July if you can. Shouldn't have any trouble with getting rooms ether.

Last edited by 5150northrider; 12-06-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
No problem with gas from redlodge to Cody, you can even swing into cook city for lunch on the way and still have plenty of fuel to make Cody. I would go to eat lunch its worth it. And if needed there's a gas station. As for the weather, I would go at the end of June just before the 4th of July if you can. Shouldn't have any trouble with getting rooms ether.
Yes, great suggestion on slipping over to Cooke City, Mont. for a break before doubling back to the turn to Cody on Chief Joseph Highway. That gas station/espresso place on the right as you’re coming into Cooke City has good coffee and WiFi. Of course being in Montana there are several choices for a good, local beer too. Gas up in Red Lodge and you’ll still have 1/2 tank by the time you hit Cody. Cafe Regis in Red Lodge does a fine job for breakfast before you head out.

edit: Should also mention staying at The Alpine Lodge in Red Lodge is great. Clean, family-owned motel and Larry cooks up a great breakfast in an outdoor setting.

Last edited by mtgriz; 12-06-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:17 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 305 Likes on 193 Posts

If you stay in Red Lodge we had a pretty good night in:
https://www.redlodgerestaurants.com/bogarts/

Bogarts. I thought it was Humphry's, thanks Google. Anyhow pretty good pub dinner followed by many beers. Then we rode Beartooth. Buddy <> feel well. I was fine, I stopped at the summit and walked up the hill to see what I could see. It was nice not riding gas station to gas station for once. We made it into Cody, gassed up and continued on to the Buffalo Chip that night. We ended up a little late.

For sure include Chief Joseph Highway. Dunno how the road is to the west of the junction to Yellowstone. Others may chime in.

Have a blast. We did.

H

Old 12-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

How is that area the beginning of September just after Labor Day?

Old 12-06-2018, 04:38 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,094 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I planned on riding Beartooth on the 16th of June this year. But as I left Red Lodge I got to look at the sign saying the pass was closed due to a "blizzard" on the 15th. Heard several bikes had to be abandoned on the pass till the road got opened up again.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Beartooth had snow everywhere in late July when I was there. It is a ride that everyone should plan to take. A beautiful ride.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I was there July 4th this past summer. Still plenty of snow up there but the roads where clear. It’s an amazing ride, but dress appropriately, it was pretty cold.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:07 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I have rode Beartooth and Chief Joseph several times in August following Sturgis. Two years ago the week after I was there, the pass was closed for the day due to snow. Beautiful country. Just gas up before you head to the pass.

Quick Reply: Beartooth Pass