Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Banff Loop

Old 01-01-2019, 12:33 PM
CanadianRocky
Received 3,500 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by Salmo pass View Post
hi there is good camping right in the town of Nakusp. The best food that I have found is at the Lodge arrow lakes right in Main Street. There are also a coupe of cool cafes / bakery’s on Main Street. Nakusp is a small place right on the shores of arrow lake. Good camping in Kaslo as well about a 90 min ride. On some of the best roads along the lakes and mountains you will find. There are s couple of weekends one in Aug and the other I think in July when nakusp camping is full. There is the BC beemers rally I think in July and in Aug there is a large horizons adventure bike rally. If you need a break from camping the Lodge hotel in Nakusp is the place to stay nice good location and fair price.
And Sandon, just a bit east of New Denver has great a museum and lots of old vehicles to poke around in. A short dirt road, but an easy ride.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks Salmo. I had found that campground. Looks nice. One thing I have not seen listed at any of the campgrounds is bear boxes for storage of food and other things. Are these available in the area?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM
CanadianRocky

You won’t find many in city campgrounds. Mostly in the National Parks. But take a piece of rope and a decent size stuff bag .... put a rock in it, toss it over a tree limb (away from your tent) then lower the bag, put your food in it and hoist it up. ....And remember, you don’t have to run faster than the bear, just the person who is with you ....

Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Redbank
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam View Post
Trying to plan a ride to Banff Area. Most likely leave the Kallispell area on Hwy 2, through Creston, Kootenay Ferry, Nakusp, Upper Arrow Lake Ferry, Revelstoke, Kamloops, Jasper, Banff. I hope to stay a couple of days near Banff and possibly ride back up to Jasper and back. And one day ride west to Revelstoke and back. Is it possible to ride to Jasper and back in a day or is that too ambitious? I plan to mostly tent camp. I have no idea on timing for the days ride, sightseeing, crooked roads, border crossings, ferries, etc..

Maybe the first night in Naksup? About 300 miles? Then up to Valemount? About 390 Miles? Then down to the Banff Area. I have searched and found a lot of comments about the area and copied them. Any recommendations other than Banff area to overnight at that is still in that area? Anyone have any suggestions for where to overnight? Campgrounds?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
When I rode thru the CR last year I spent a night in Tunnel Mountain Village 1 just out of Banff. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the way you reserve a camp site in the CR is you have to register online the day before you actually want to stay. The system to reserve a campground will not allow you to reserve that day and calling didn't help me because no one answered. I ended up driving to the TMV since it was close when I was in downtown Banff trying to find a campground for the night. Ended up they had plenty of tents sites available but man what a hassle. The site I stayed at was nice and bathrooms were okay, they also had a central bear box storage container everyone could put their items.

Also if you want to take 1A it doesn't open until 8 or 9 in the morning. I found out the hard way.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the info Redbank. OK Now explain to me the difference between 1A and 1? Looks like they are pretty much right together.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Rodzilla71
One Of The Regulars
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info Redbank. OK Now explain to me the difference between 1A and 1? Looks like they are pretty much right together.
1 is a 4 lane hwy, 1a is a 2 lane, with slower speed limits to soak up the views.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM
CanadianRocky

If my memory serves me right, 1A use to be the main road from Calgary heading West back in the day. It is twisty and on the other side of the River. For most of it you cannot see the main highway. Take it, it is a great little road. You can actually ride it most of the way from Calgary right to Lake Louise. There is a nice little hotel on the East side of Banff called Nakoda Lodge, I stayed there a long time ago, not sure what it is like now, but a great setting right next to a lake.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Salmo pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hows the planning going?

CR is so right if you are planning to travel in the Banff area and you have a choice take the 1a road. Keep checking out the routes west and north of there as well lots of great riding around Kootenay’s and the area around Arrow lakes. You mentioned hwy 3a its a fantastic road and of all the times i have ridden it i have yet to take the ferry across on my bike. I have break when i get up there and than ride back down and ride around the lake over the pass. It takes about 3 hrs to ride to the other side. The ferry is about a 45 min ride once you are loaded. The ride around is great and if the timeline fits give it a look. CR probably knows right to the mile how long the Kootenay pass is but i bet it is a 25 mile climb. Its a blast. I will be out there once or twice for sure in 19.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 563 Likes on 414 Posts

We stay in Kaslo when we ride the area.we ride by this place every time we go to Nakusp. Great place to ride and you never know who you might run into.
https://www.facebook.com/Nakuspmotorcyclecamping/

Last edited by Vernal; 01-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 AM
SophieM
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Mr Sanford your trip will be amazing I have been to Banff and its soo beautiful, not by bike though I am soo jealous. Hope you have a great time! Sophie xx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: