Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Is Beartooth Highway worth an extra 200 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:15 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
I did Beartooth in 93 (my god has it really been that long???) while on vacation with friends and it was amazing. It was the during the last week of August and it was snowing. And it got down to 15 degrees that night

Fortunately/unfortunately we were in a cage ...
Yikes!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

Yikes!
Was really glad we had the weather channel. I was watching the temps and noted the week before it was cold so I packed my North Face Down Parka and got rid of my light jacket. Unfortunately my friends did not and it never occurred to me to tell them. Our first night camping was near mammoth hot springs and we were all in our own tents. After setting up our tents I came out wearing my jacket and they were like "where did that come from?" They on the other hand were wearing every piece of clothing they had with them and had socks on their hands because none of us had gloves.

The next morning we went down to the store and each of us grabbed a hat and gloves and put them on with the tags still attached. We then each asked for coffee and when we were asked what we wanted in it we said we didn't care, we weren't going to drink it we were just going to hold the cups until our hands warmed up. I am sure they all laughed for weeks!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
Was really glad we had the weather channel. I was watching the temps and noted the week before it was cold so I packed my North Face Down Parka and got rid of my light jacket. Unfortunately my friends did not and it never occurred to me to tell them. Our first night camping was near mammoth hot springs and we were all in our own tents. After setting up our tents I came out wearing my jacket and they were like "where did that come from?" They on the other hand were wearing every piece of clothing they had with them and had socks on their hands because none of us had gloves.

The next morning we went down to the store and each of us grabbed a hat and gloves and put them on with the tags still attached. We then each asked for coffee and when we were asked what we wanted in it we said we didn't care, we weren't going to drink it we were just going to hold the cups until our hands warmed up. I am sure they all laughed for weeks!
I hit Beartooth and Glacier on nice summer days, glad I don't have a story like that.

Though, on the Pacific Coast Highway rolling into Big Sur years back, it was cold/chilly/damp years back- even in leather coat. Pulled into a gas station and walked in shivering. I asked where the coffee was and the clerk looked at me like I was nuts (he was in shorts/tshirt). I sat and drank coffee for over an hour. Sure, the coast is sunny/fun (in the movies) but can also be quite cold/chilly.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

it has snowed on beartooth on "NICE SUMMER DAYS"

Old 01-19-2019, 06:33 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

on my "NICE SUMMER DAY" it "DID NOT SNOW".

IN FACT the ENTIRE TIME I was there IT WAS REALLY REALLY REALLY NICE OUT

Last edited by F150HD; 01-19-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Kim and I stayed at Canyon Area one 4th of July and the bikes had frost on the seats in the morning. You’re at elevation so it gets cold at night, and sometimes during the day.

Going out the east gate to Cody is nice ride. If you plan to do that put Lamar Valley on your list for the day you tour the park, amazing views of buffalo herds along the river. Yellowstone Falls is another must see.

We start out early in the morning as traffic is lighter and you you can make good time.

Check the parks web site for scheduled road construction. Long waits and deep mud can ruin your day.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:14 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Although they mostly travel in herds, watch for single Buffalo in the twisties.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Although they mostly travel in herds, watch for single Buffalo in the twisties.
Do not hit a buffalo it will likely hurt; a lot! There are a lot of them in the park and are not shy about crossing the roads.

Cody is a great place (I felt at home there, friendly, good morals, ethics and manners). Instead of shooting went horse riding. Buffalo Bill museum is very good especially if you like firearms of western lore.

The bear tooth is a great road but have some warm clothes.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Don Barklage
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely! And if you can catch Chief Joseph Highway it's also worth the time!
Tried to drive the Beartooth in May with the wife, and it was closed due to snow, have ridden it many times in July with no trouble

Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Rode Beartooth last year in July and it was snowing with 10 foot show drifts. Froze our ***** off but none in our group of 4 complained. Second time through for me. FWIW Charles Kuralt said Chief Joseph Hiway was the most beautiful ride in America.
YMMV

Hoggly

Quick Reply: Is Beartooth Highway worth an extra 200 miles?