Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Is Beartooth Highway worth an extra 200 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Great suggestions everyone.

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Looks great.... map this out... Red Lodge ... Hwy 78 to Columbus... I-90 to Big Timber ... 191 to 12 to 89, up and over the Little Belt Mountains ... all the way to Great Falls (you will ride right past the HD shop... then up 89 to all the way to St Marys. Keeps you off the slab most of the way. There has been a bit of construction on 89.
Good suggestion to Glacier. I mapped this out, and I like it! This is now the way we’ll go! Thanks!

Originally Posted by MacTarnahan
Think about this:
After Glacier drop down to Missoula, go to Lolo pass on Hwy12, follow that along Clearwater River to Lewiston (one of my favorite roads in the US but I've always only done it West to East) Stop in Lowell, ID just before Lewiston for lunch at the Wilderness Café. (Lowell, ID is a gas station and the café, my favorite food place. From Lewiston continue West through Columbia River Gorge, take 97 through Oregon and into Reno.
If you've never been through the Gorge it's very scenic. This route will also take you through Pendleton, OR Bike week there is July 18 - 21, if that fits in with your timeline
Hell's Canyon Bike week is the week before that in Baker, OR just south or Lewiston, ID if that fits in more with your timeline.

Whatever you do, looks like a great trip, enjoy!
Good suggestions. But all the way to Pendekton to 97...is getting us too far West. I agree the Columbia Gorge is beautiful. We used to live in the Portland area and rode it many times. And in ‘17 we did a trip where we ended up riding the Gorge from Hood River to the coast and south on the day of the eclipse. We’ll definitely try out the Wilderness Cafe though. Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by CR3999
Instead of leaving Yellowstone out of the northeast. Go out the east entrance towards Cody. The east entrance is one fine ride. Out of Cody hit Chief Joseph and you hit Beartooth from there. Your not missing anything spectacular on the Beartooth until after that point.
Once you get to Glacier make sure you hit Many Glacier. Have fun. I'm headed back to Glacier this year also. Probably the end of July. Then hit Sturgis on the way home.
this is a great route to get the best of Beartooth and Chief Jiseph. This is now our route from Yellowstone to Red Lodge. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

If you have the time, have lunch at the Irma in Cody. (Or stay the night in Cody even better).

Your route looks great!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

and also if you make it through cody and have time buffalo bill museum and a gun buff like me you will get lost in the Winchester museum!!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:38 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
and also if you make it through cody and have time buffalo bill museum and a gun buff like me you will get lost in the Winchester museum!!
AND.... you can rent a Gatling Gun and blow the hell out of stuff....

Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

AND.... you can rent a Gatling Gun and blow the hell out of stuff....
Cool!

Old 01-13-2019, 04:44 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Cool!
Here's a link to the place.... I didn't rent it when I was there, the guy in front of me did.... I should have.....

https://codyfirearmsexperience.com/

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Here's a link to the place.... I didn't rent it when I was there, the guy in front of me did.... I should have.....

https://codyfirearmsexperience.com/
I was just there in Sept and shot a 1928 Thompson sub machine gun, a couple in our group shot the Gatling Gun. Cool stuff......

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a thought for those of you planning a Beartooth ride I'd suggest staying the nite in Red Lodge. Cool little town with friendly locals, and get an early start to avoid the slow procession of campers that clog the road by mid morning.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Absolutely put it on the list! Awesome ride, awesome area.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I did Beartooth in 93 (my god has it really been that long???) while on vacation with friends and it was amazing. It was the during the last week of August and it was snowing. And it got down to 15 degrees that night

Fortunately/unfortunately we were in a cage ...

Quick Reply: Is Beartooth Highway worth an extra 200 miles?