Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:10 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Well, my riding partner decided (actually his body decided) that it is time for a shoulder replacement surgery so he's gonna be out of action for most of this riding season.
He can barely ride his Tri-Glide now so he knows it will be "mission impossible", maybe for the majority of this riding season

This now changes my plans back to Nova Scotia (he only wanted to go to N.Y, & N.H.) with the wife and perhaps some other friends OR, if I go by myself it may also become a Newfoundland excursion. It will most likely be my wife will flying to meet me in N.S. and we'll also do a part of PEI.

Don't (and won't) have all of the details mapped out for a few weeks but we have lots of (old) info back from when I was planning this trip before and allowed myself to get sidetracked.

So far, I'm planning for a three-week trip which will give me time to get to Mt. Washington for a couple of days then returning home via Bar Harbor, ME (probably riding vs taking the ferry).

I was in N.S. back in '80 or '81 but I didn't have enough time to see all that I wanted to so hopefully I will this time as it will probably be the last time that I will have the opportunity.
I'm planning on doing the things that I didn't do before ; the Cabot Trail (counter-clockwise), Cape Breton, at least one whale watching excursion, Meat Cove, and of course taking my wife to see the tides in the Bay of Fundy
Someone mentioned Peggy's Cove and that will be done on our first day out of Halifax.

If anyone has suggestions for good restaurants, motels, etc., let 'em rip!
Things sure work out strange sometimes but if all goes as planned--

My riding partner, AFAIK (and his wife) will be riding with me to the Albany, NY area if his health allows.

My cousin is now riding up from TN to meet up with me near Albany and I've made our reservations for Newfoundland!
He's trying to get his wife to fly up and join us but that doesn't look promising so he's asked a friend if he would like to join us so we'll have to wait and see if that works out.

We'll take the scenic route(s) through VT and NH before heading into Canada and eventually NL.
When we return to Halifax my wife will be flying up and we'll have about 10 days to see NS and then ride over to Bar Harbor for the last couple of days and then she will fly home and my cousin and I will take the scenic route back to Albany together before splitting and heading for home.

Lots of things can happen in two months!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-11-2019 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:20 AM
puckoach
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Major point, the place is vast. Use a ride planner to figure out travel and seat time. I have been twice, and still have not covered it all. My short story opinions;

Halifax, at least two days. Great city on a steep hill. Waterfront, Alexander Keith Brewery has entertaining actor driven tour, Maritime Museum. Air Museum out near airport pretty good.

Lighthouse Trail south is also a money shot. If you take every shore road, more than a day to get to Yarmouth. With help, we found Oak Island, as plant growth covered signs. Not a great stop, unless a serious fan of show. 3 of our group of 10 was.

Cabot Trail, either way is awesome. Once crossing the causeway, a lot of other good riding. We didn't allow enough time. I like Miner Museum on the coast. Which many bikers miss. Watch your fuel level. Not a lot of places to buy along trail.

Once you leave causeway heading west, get up in the North shore roads. While they may have been fixed, South shore roads back towards Halifax were beat up two years ago.

Up date date maps in your gps. Many, especially Harley boom are not really Canada friendly.

"Premier" credit cards don't have exchange fees. But, the exchange rate is the key factor. Bank of A is awful. T. D. Bank is best for me. Ask now, to compare which card to use. Small businesses, some bar tenders may try even cash exchange, don't let them. Due expect a less than in your favor exchange rate when using cash.

Please bring me back some Maple Vodka, can't find it here in New England....

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by puckoach
Major point, the place is vast. Use a ride planner to figure out travel and seat time. I have been twice, and still have not covered it all. My short story opinions;

Halifax, at least two days. Great city on a steep hill. Waterfront, Alexander Keith Brewery has entertaining actor driven tour, Maritime Museum. Air Museum out near airport pretty good.

Lighthouse Trail south is also a money shot. If you take every shore road, more than a day to get to Yarmouth. With help, we found Oak Island, as plant growth covered signs. Not a great stop, unless a serious fan of show. 3 of our group of 10 was.

Cabot Trail, either way is awesome. Once crossing the causeway, a lot of other good riding. We didn't allow enough time. I like Miner Museum on the coast. Which many bikers miss. Watch your fuel level. Not a lot of places to buy along trail.

Once you leave causeway heading west, get up in the North shore roads. While they may have been fixed, South shore roads back towards Halifax were beat up two years ago.

Up date date maps in your gps. Many, especially Harley boom are not really Canada friendly.

"Premier" credit cards don't have exchange fees. But, the exchange rate is the key factor. Bank of A is awful. T. D. Bank is best for me. Ask now, to compare which card to use. Small businesses, some bar tenders may try even cash exchange, don't let them. Due expect a less than in your favor exchange rate when using cash.

Please bring me back some Maple Vodka, can't find it here in New England....
Thanks for the info.
Once my wife gets serious about the trip she can start picking where she wants to go and what she wants to see.
So far, she's only listed Halifax, the Bay of Fundy and the Cabot Trail.
I've watched the Oak Island TV show but I have no interest to see it.
Not sure what my cousin wants to see or do but I'd think by the time we ride up and then do NL and get back to NS he'll be ready for some easy days.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:26 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Need to know what motels up near the Cabot Trail may be more affordable?
Not looking to stay in a dive but we need to budget for the trip, especially when one guy might be riding by himself.
I'm hoping he will be able to find a partner to share room expenses.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:14 AM
Fast66
Tourer
Received 273 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Need to know what motels up near the Cabot Trail may be more affordable?
Not looking to stay in a dive but we need to budget for the trip, especially when one guy might be riding by himself.
I'm hoping he will be able to find a partner to share room expenses.
I stayed at Cornerstone Motel a couple years ago. Nice, clean place in a quiet area at the entrance to Highlands Nat'l Park. Food and fuel is a few miles away at Cheticamp.
Price was decent, I would stay there again.

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:05 PM
puckoach
Cruiser

There are more places to stay, than there are gas stations.....

The Atlantic Biker guide has some lodging that is not in national listings. But, Orbitz has many places in that area. With 5 rooms needed, that is what I used. Able to see availability and price. All motels use loading based pricing. So, being able to compare on Orbitz might be your best deal. Canceling on Orbitz is difficult. But, not as hard as Expedia, and others.

I would suggest Halifax well in advance. As they do host major events, that take many or most of the rooms. But, you can get into in expensive rooms at some of the colleges there.

As fog can slow you down, if only two rooms, might be able to do day in advance or same day.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:44 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by puckoach
There are more places to stay, than there are gas stations.....

The Atlantic Biker guide has some lodging that is not in national listings. But, Orbitz has many places in that area. With 5 rooms needed, that is what I used. Able to see availability and price. All motels use loading based pricing. So, being able to compare on Orbitz might be your best deal. Canceling on Orbitz is difficult. But, not as hard as Expedia, and others.

I would suggest Halifax well in advance. As they do host major events, that take many or most of the rooms. But, you can get into in expensive rooms at some of the colleges there.

As fog can slow you down, if only two rooms, might be able to do day in advance or same day.
Thanks for the info!
Yes, we have rooms already booked in Halifax.
We're (the wife and I and another rider) will touring from there doing a southern loop through Yarmouth then working our way north to spot where we can get a good view of the of Fundy. Once we do this we will do the Cabot Trail (counter-clockwise) and then head south and east across PEI.
We have 7 days to do this and get back to Bar Harbor, ME so I think we'll be OK time-wise IF the weather cooperates.
If not, we may have to so some "Plan B" maneuvers, which I believe may be to skip the southern loop and just head west from Halifax to the Bay on Day 1 of our trip.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 AM
puckoach
Cruiser

Suggest southern loop, Lighthouse Trail, is number two in order of best rides. Following Cabot. Also, there is other great riding north of causeway leading to Cabot. 7 days in thin

Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

As I keep planning for this trip I'm starting to question just how "wet" this trip may be?
I remember the amount of rain that I (we) encountered on the trip to N.S in the early '80's!
I've got the proper rain gear but I'm also hoping for some sunny days

We've had more rain this spring (summer comes tomorrow) than we've had in a long time and it's been difficult getting in any riding time!

Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM
puckoach
Cruiser

Seasons arriving later and later.

We are going to be in Bar Harbor first week of August. Would appreciate inside info on best rides, sights, bars etc

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia