iron butt schedule? - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

iron butt schedule?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 PM
road king Q
Road Captain
Default iron butt schedule?

Hey

how do folks break up the ride? A friend asked me to do this with him. I had seriously considered so...
planning stage and just wondered how others did it

Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM
haak30
One Of The Regulars

I rode from Omaha to Rapid City HD during the rally. Had lunch at the dealership, and got back on the road to Omaha. See all the bike on the rode was motivating to keep pushing.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:35 PM
nickel.wound
Senior Rider

We went from Redlands, CA (hour east of LA) to Salt Lake City, turned around and ended in Las Vegas (1,089 total). Our group of 6 rode about 120 miles each leg, pulled off for gas, ate some trail mix, water, back on the road. A lot of stops, but it kept us fresh and we finished in about 20 hours (2am start, 10pm finish). Only one major meal, at about 5pm. Awesome trip!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickel.wound For This Useful Post:
road king Q (02-11-2019), SoGA (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 PM
JustinC13A

I was motivated by bad weather and did it on a whim on the way back from Bike Week. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and I want to do it again as soon as the wind dies down.

The Following User Says Thank You to JustinC13A For This Useful Post:
road king Q (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 PM
5280Ruffian
Senior Rider

Tips:
  1. Stay on major highways. Higher speed, with multiple lanes. We needed 150 on our day, we were heading from SD to IL. Total miles was 850, so we cut up to MN and WI. During our detour, we hit single lane, each way, roads and it slowed us way down and made for an extended day.
  2. Hydrate Self Explanatory.
  3. Wear a full face, or good wrap around glasses. I have always worn a 3/4 helmet, and I ride a lot. Never had a problem. At the ~600-700 mile mark, my eyes started burning (like they had sunblock in them) and watering. It was miserable. I learned that I needed better wind protection for my eyes on long days like that. Never had a problem before, but it was a huge eye opener.
  4. Do a loop. Try to ride with the sun at your back the whole time. (Ride west in the morning, east in the afternoon). The sun is not your friend, on rides like this. The sun in your face will wear you down. Try to avoid it, if you can.
  5. Walk around at your gas stops. You don't want to burn a ton of time, but you need to stretch your legs and let your *** rest. You will thank yourself in the long run. Fill up, refill your drink of choice, take a leak, then meander back to the bike. 10 minutes a stop won't add to your time significantly, but will make your ride more bearable.
  6. Stop if you are tired. Safety should be priority 1. Don't push yourself too hard.
  7. Get a way to communicate with your riding partner. We have 20s so that we can chat. 1000 miles in a day is a long time to sit in your helmet. If you can swings comms, I highly recommend it. It will make the day *much* more enjoyable.
  8. Don't plan this at the beginning of a long trip. This was day 2 of a 9 day trip. Let me tell you - the rest of the trip was a little less enjoyable. We still had a great time, but you could tell we ran ourselves ragged at the beginning. I will be doing another 1k in a day run this year, but it will be on a Saturday, where I can sleep Sunday and recoup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5280Ruffian For This Useful Post:
road king Q (02-11-2019), SoGA (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:30 PM
road king Q
Road Captain

I was thinking quick stretch breaks after an hour (couple of minutes), gas and about 10 -20 minutes after another hour...should be about 120 to 140 miles in 2 hours

close to that should leave about 6 hours for ......

I thought about doing this, kind of put it aside, but now someone wanting to do it with has rekindled. Some good points there guys. Mucho thanks. A loop from where we are would be difficult considering avoiding high traffic times. I am going to look harder at this.

Straight west 500 and coming back would be only 1 metro to avoid twice, OK City. That should be doable, all interstate. most with a 75 mph limit. This would be a trip just for this intent, not part of a longer journey. I have done 600, 700 mile legs to finish a trip before. More planning....

thanks again

Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Ummagumma

Once you have planned your route make sure to let your credit card companies aware of what you're doing. Inform them that you will be stopping for gas every 2-3 hrs over a 24 hr time period. In the middle of a saddle sore 2000 I had one of my cards shut down due to this reason. Note wasn't added on their end but luckily I had several other cards to use.

Also I would advise not to eat any heavy meals as this can tend to make you tired. My friend on Iron Butt's is Subway. I buy a 12 inch sandwich; eat half for lunch and save the other half for dinner while I do a gas stop. Also buy a banana or two while at a gas stop. I also chew a strong flavor chewing gum to keep my senses awake.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ummagumma For This Useful Post:
road king Q (02-16-2019), SoGA (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
sailmotion
Club Member
Thanked 1,521 Times in 913 Posts

I attended a seminar by a guy [forgot his name - Canadian] who evidently is a legend in the Iron Butt community. He rides a Gold Wing with a stock seat and a sheepskin cover. His suggestion for stops was "one for the bike, one for you" - meaning, the gas stop was for the bike, and at about 1/2 tank, a stop for you. He was a big fan of water at frequent intervals and snacks as needed.

I'm planning my own 1,000 miler. I've decided that I'll start at 2-3 am so that the majority of my riding in the dark [more challenging] will be done when I'm freshest. If I do my ride late Spring, early summer, that should also result in me finishing just before it begins to get dark or shortly thereafter. Good luck with your ride.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailmotion For This Useful Post:
road king Q (02-16-2019), SoGA (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
SoGA
Senior Rider

Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
<snip>... I've decided that I'll start at 2-3 am so that the majority of my riding in the dark [more challenging] will be done when I'm freshest. If I do my ride late Spring, early summer, that should also result in me finishing just before it begins to get dark or shortly thereafter. Good luck with your ride.
This is good advice IMHO. It seems to me that, in addition to your stated reasoning, you would be doing your dark riding on familiar roads; that has always been my reasoning to leave at midnight and hope to be back before dark.

Guys, y'all have some good points above; thanks for sharing!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:57 AM
road king Q
Road Captain

We used to do 200/300 mile days all the time. Just to get to hills and out of the city, new roads. One day on an abandoned trip to New Orleans we were hiding from a rain storm beneath an overpass. An old rider on a softail joined us, shook off the rain, and started talking. I asked how he could do runs to places like Florida and Sturgis. You have to take breaks, he says. Before you think you need 'em. Once you get stiff and sore, it's over.

Since then we quit the hammer hard for miles, our usual stat out method. For me, he was right. After an hour or so I stop, walk around like the post above says. Get some blood moving and muscles unfolded. May be only 2 or 3 minutes, but big help. Huge difference when on a multi day trip for a few thousand miles

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: