Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicago To Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a good trip. My gf and I are rolling out that way at the end of June. Heading to MT and Glacier Nat'l park, then to Yellowstone, CO, UT, and where ever else the road takes us. We are still in the planning stages.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Quicksilver55
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggman1
Sounds like a good trip. My gf and I are rolling out that way at the end of June. Heading to MT and Glacier Nat'l park, then to Yellowstone, CO, UT, and where ever else the road takes us. We are still in the planning stages.
Our original plan was to take 20 out to Wyoming then run down to Estes Park and run 34 back as they are still mostly 2 lane with a couple of highway stretches in them. Then we decided that all we would be doing is turning out miles and not enjoying the trip, so change of plans we will spend 4 days there 6 days out in Wyoming and Montana and 4 days home.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:07 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

That can be a long, hot run crossing what is mostly "flyover country"!
The last time we did that (2010) we took three bikes on my flatbed trailer and using two drivers, drove straight through from the Detroit area to Billings, MT on I-90.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the straight through drive with only one driver but trailering is a lot more comfortable and it would give you more time to do much more sight-seeing once you're reached your destination.

I've done my share of riding just to get from point A to point B in my time.
I'm now focused on enjoying my long distance trips and making the most of my wife's vacation time and by trailering and having her fly to a predesignated destination maximizes the scenic riding, especially if she wants to ride solo.

Another plus in trailering is that in case of any problems (mechanical, accidental or medical) getting transportation home is as close as to where you park your car/truck and trailer.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Quicksilver55
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
That can be a long, hot run crossing what is mostly "flyover country"!
The last time we did that (2010) we took three bikes on my flatbed trailer and using two drivers, drove straight through from the Detroit area to Billings, MT on I-90.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the straight through drive with only one driver but trailering is a lot more comfortable and it would give you more time to do much more sight-seeing once you're reached your destination.

I've done my share of riding just to get from point A to point B in my time.
I'm now focused on enjoying my long distance trips and making the most of my wife's vacation time and by trailering and having her fly to a predesignated destination maximizes the scenic riding, especially if she wants to ride solo.

Another plus in trailering is that in case of any problems (mechanical, accidental or medical) getting transportation home is as close as to where you park your car/truck and trailer.
I know and I have done that before but now we want to ride out. We are going to ride 2 lane road both out and back. I know there is safety and insurance by trailering, but I'm doing that later this month for bike week in Arizona, This is just something we have both wanted to do for awhile so hopefully it's what we expect or you can be sure the next trip will include a trailer

Old 03-05-2019, 05:40 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver55
Our original plan was to take 20 out to Wyoming then run down to Estes Park and run 34 back as they are still mostly 2 lane with a couple of highway stretches in them. Then we decided that all we would be doing is turning out miles and not enjoying the trip, so change of plans we will spend 4 days there 6 days out in Wyoming and Montana and 4 days home.
That looks to be the route we are thinking about. We may stay a night in KCMO at her Dad's house and then head out the next morning. We're figuring about 3 days to get out there not being in a hurry.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Due to time constraints I too am considering either shipping the bike to Rapid City and both of us flying in then shipping it back when done or putting it on the back of my truck then picking her up at the airport.
Made the ride a few times. It's a long trip from Tampa Bay.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Quicksilver55
Advanced

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
Due to time constraints I too am considering either shipping the bike to Rapid City and both of us flying in then shipping it back when done or putting it on the back of my truck then picking her up at the airport.
Made the ride a few times. It's a long trip from Tampa Bay.
That would be a ride probably for later unless you have the time. I have never shipped a bike so do you ship it to a harley dealer? They will hold it for you until you get there and ship it back for you? I'm not sure how prompt the guys are that operate the shipping companies.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We are planning a trip this summer and it will be our first long trip in a long time. My only other long trip was Chicago to Missoula, MT back when I had a 69 sportster that was 1973. Work has always been in the way. Anyway we are going to ride out and spend 3 to 4 days going each way. We have friends in Cody so we will just stay there while we are out there. My question is with all the trip planning software we are trying to find campgrounds with cabins rather than a regular hotel. Problem is the software gives you the routing with options which we don't want any highways or toll roads basically 2 lane all the way out and back. The software doesn't give the names of the towns we will pass through or is there an option I am missing?
My father has a Road Glide Ultra, i will talk to him tonight for dinner and ask him about software tips and let you know tomorrow. For our last trip to Nordkapp i remember him loading maps with a pen drive. I suppose the software used to make the maps bits is the same. I'll let you know

Old 03-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

That would be a ride probably for later unless you have the time. I have never shipped a bike so do you ship it to a harley dealer? They will hold it for you until you get there and ship it back for you? I'm not sure how prompt the guys are that operate the shipping companies.
I'm not sure where I would ship to. Hopefully the dealer or maybe I can find someone that lives nearby. I sent a couple messages to Black Hills HD but have not received a reply.
I've spoke with several transport companies. Most are not interested in shipping to RC unless the rally's going on. I did find a co "Simply Motorcycle Shipping" that said they can do it within 7-10 days to find a driver and make delivery. Price was reasonable considering some of the other quote's I got.

To ride the bike or drive adds 3-4 days one way to my trip or 6-8 days round trip total. We only have 10 days.
Thought about renting but DanG it would cost about $3K. Shipping looks to be half of that.

Will know by end of week if Ma-Ma's time off is approved.

Last edited by Nokkon Wud; 03-06-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by endscuoio
My father has a Road Glide Ultra, i will talk to him tonight for dinner and ask him about software tips and let you know tomorrow. For our last trip to Nordkapp i remember him loading maps with a pen drive. I suppose the software used to make the maps bits is the same. I'll let you know
Ok, my father said he uses HD original program to creat the maps and export them to the pen drive. But you can use any program that exports gpx files. Once the map is loaded on your bike, you should have a voice in your menu that says preferences, edit, then avoid toll road and he said he flagged dirt roads also. Let me know

Quick Reply: Chicago To Yellowstone