Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Weekend trip to AR questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Weekend trip to AR questions

wife is wanting to take a weekend trip on the bike for her birthday. she has said something about going to Hot Springs AR but we are kind of looking for some other options if there is something else that could be better. not really looking to do much other than a nice weekend away from home to relax and have a good time.
never been to Hot Springs before and thought it might be a nice weekend ride. looks to be about 6 hours from home one way.

any of you all have any other suggestions? been to Eureka Springs before but not on the bike.
so just looking for some suggestions to look at.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

what are you wanting to do? Harrison makes a good hub. Mt View has some good roads and cool town square with bluegrass kind of music, dry county though.

Lot of good riding around either of these. Caves, natural sights.

Hot springs has roads, baths massages, history, good way to park and explore half a day. Touristy

Old 05-06-2019, 06:29 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly not really sure what we are wanting to do. wife liked the idea of Hot Springs and the actual hot springs and all that. me I like the history of stuff and different areas.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Keep an eye on the weather no matter where you go. Nothing worse than being wet trying to have a good time.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Depends on where you are coming from to get to Hot Springs, I think most of the best riding will be from there and North?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Nice steakhouse downtown HS. Bone in ribeye. We usually have a beer or three in the bar with Al Capone sitting on the bench outside. Nice ride from HS to Eureka Springs. Bubba's BBQ in ES.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was making a recommendation for newbies to ride in Arkansas I would suggest staying in Harrison at the 1929 Hotel Seville. Just off of Historic city square in downtown Harrison, you'd be a short distance from (30-45 minutes) from Jasper to dine at the Ozark Cafe across the street from the Newton County Courthouse. Then a 20 minute ride over the mountain into Boxley Valley at Ponca to see the Arkansas elk herd. From Harrison you'd also only be about 45 minutes scenic ride to Eureka Springs and at least ride the historic loop through town. Then the short ride over to Beaver to cross the White River on the one lane suspension bridge. You could also ride on over to downtown Bentonville and tour the Walmart Museum (I know, it sounds corny, but it's actually very cool and free!). On the way back to Harrison from Bentonville stop by the Pea Ridge National Military Battlefield, the largest Civil War battlefield west of the Mississippi. All the riding in this area is very scenic and slow paced.

If you're dead set on Hot Springs make sure you ride up East Mountain and West Mountain, both are in town (for directions google is your friend). I love riding up East Mountain and then stopping at the overlook at the base of the Hot Springs Tower. I remember riding up to the overlook on West Mountain and parking to watch Air Force One come in for a landing at the Hot Springs Airport back when Slick Willie was POTUS.

A stroll up Bath House row on Grand Ave will wet you whistle for the history buff in you. Before you go, read up on the Hot Springs Shootout of 1899 between the Hot Springs Police Department and the Garland County Sheriff's Office.

Our favorite place to stay in Hot Springs is the Wildwood 1884 Bed & Breakfast Inn.

Last edited by Faulkner; 05-07-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Jeevz1
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I've stayed at The Waters hotel, right across from the bath houses in the middle of the action, many times and have always enjoyed my stay there. As an added bonus the food at the hotel is exceptional and is right next door to the Ohio Club which is the bar with Al Capone sitting out front. Steinhaus Keller has great German food along with unique authentic beer and is within walking distance of the hotel. A good day ride from there would be around Lake Ouachita or up to Petit Jean State Park.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

It may sound silly, but I stopped in a Hardees for a burger when I was riding my 2018 FLHCS in Harrison, AR in late March. They actually have a really cool display of a 1993 Heritage with 0.3 miles on it (could even be true). If you're in Harrison, stop and see it.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 PM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Faulkner is correct on recommendations. I would add Oark for another great ride, burger and PIE! Low Gap has good food. Don't forget Push Mt and Peel Ferry. If going on north take 125 the whole way and bypass Branson an dc Springfield. Like several have said we usually stay in Harrison and day trip from there. But where ever you go, it will be fun. But remember one thing. ....never, ever pass a rest room, or your wife will be hiding behind a tree!

Quick Reply: Weekend trip to AR questions