Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Elwaupo
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m currently riding a 2015 FXDB that looks more like a Street Glide now with the Batwing Fairing and Saddle bags, love the bike but the suspension sucks. Got better shocks for the back, now I’m going to work on the front forks next

Old 07-23-2019, 07:00 PM
CVOMark
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a GPS file you would be willing to share

Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CVOMark
do you have a GPS file you would be willing to share
Not yet but I’ll be sure to put one up when I do

Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Get the book The EZ66 Guide for Travelers by Jerry McClanahan. It's a spiral bound book that makes finding the good spots easy. Jerry lives in Chandler, OK, which is on Route 66. I believe his phone number is in the book on the Chandler, OK, page. If you can catch him in town, he has a neat art gallery with Route 66 art and he's a very interesting fellow to talk to. We caught him around dinner time and he was gracious enough to go down to the local cafe and have dinner with us.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:59 PM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JonW
Get the book The EZ66 Guide for Travelers by Jerry McClanahan. It's a spiral bound book that makes finding the good spots easy. Jerry lives in Chandler, OK, which is on Route 66. I believe his phone number is in the book on the Chandler, OK, page. If you can catch him in town, he has a neat art gallery with Route 66 art and he's a very interesting fellow to talk to. We caught him around dinner time and he was gracious enough to go down to the local cafe and have dinner with us.
Thanks for the info JonW, I will get that book as I will need all the advice I can get😎👍

Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

I believe Butler Motorcycle Maps has a pretty good Route 66 special edition.
If you've never used butler maps go to their website (google Butler Maps) roads are graded by color and geared towards motorcycle touring or adventure/touring

Old 07-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MacTarnahan
If you've never used butler maps go to their website (google Butler Maps) roads are graded by color and geared towards motorcycle touring or adventure/touring
Wow is all I can say about this website, it has everything I need not just for this trip but everywhere I want to go in the future, you other riders should check this site out, Thanks MacTarnahan

Last edited by Elwaupo; 07-24-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MacTarnahan
I have a half dozen of the Butler maps and adding to my collection as time goes on!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:23 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts

How much of the ride is Freeway and how much two lane? I have been on a small bit of the two lane.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

As far as original pavement, there is not much left. Jerry's book does a good job of outlining where original pavement is. In many cases, the outer roads are actually widened and repaved parts of the original Route 66. There are some areas where you almost have to go on the interstate, if you don't want to go out of your way. You can minimize the amount of time spent on the super slab if you take some time to plan your route.

Quick Reply: Route 66